1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Economy improving employment?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by GreenLight, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Well said, Sleepy. :clapping::drinkup:
  2. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

You guys are spot on. Its an epedimic. The younger generation doesn't understand a hard days work, and has been taught that they are better than "those" jobs. I hate to break the bad news to them but not everyone can sit behind their computers in the AC and make 100k plus. That's not the real world.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Once you know the gig and own the company, that's one thing, but the employees don't realize how we suffer to make payroll, excise, L&I AND, let's not forget the slow pays. :hammerhead:
  4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I work out of a town of about 23,000 people, mostly IT employees. You can drive from one side of town to the other any day of the week and not see a kid on a bicycle , kids playing a game of footballl baseball ect. There just are no kids outside doing anything.Kids ( highschoolers) do not get jobs in the summer as we did when we were kids.
  5. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

I think "work ethic" has been the toughest thing to find. I try to convince everyone that comes aboard that the quicker you learn, the more value you are to the company and thus the more you make. Honestly though, it's been a tough sell and in many cases it feels like im teaching brain surgery to a monkey. There is only so many times you can show a person the "flow arrow" on a valve before wondering if they simply don't give a sh*t.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have expanded my company only AFTER finding the right people. Not taking on more work, then trying to find the right employees. Both my current employees are very hard workers, good work ethics, willing to learn, and trustworthy.
  7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I have 22 year old Guatamalan guy that works for me and he is great. I taught him the trade when we both worked for another company 4 years ago. Then this year he came to work for me. I before I hired him full time I had some white friends help me a few times and they sucked.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have one guy that is American/Italian, but some of my customers think he's Mexican. Had one lady say "Don't send that Mexican back out", so we never showed up again. :) Guy is in his mid 50s, and has had to work for everything in his life. Great person, great worker.
  9. rlpsystems

rlpsystems LawnSite Senior Member

Blake has tommy sub machine guns tattoed on both forearms.... But that ol sonna ofa ***** works so hard and is so personable with the clients that it amazies me. You can not judge a book by its cover.
  10. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I found that to be true when I had employees from south of the border. Those who grew up on a ranch, like the ones I hired in the early 80's from Zacatecas, had a work ethic that couldn't be beat. Mutual respect and fair wages for hard work earned friendships and loyalty that persist long after I got out of the L/S maint. that employed them.