Economy or Summer Lull?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dkeisala, Aug 9, 2006.

1. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I know this is a historically slow time of year for many businesses as many people are getting in their vacation time, active weekends, starting the think about getting the kids back into school, etc. Then couple those reasons with the fact that not much is happening in the landscape. We just came off a spectacular June and July only to have revenue dive in August. Phones not ringing even though we are doing plenty of advertising.

Is August and September slow months for everyone else or is it just me?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

august is always slow, people go on that last quick get-a-way before the kids go back to school for the fall. I always see a slowdown in august then before you know it you're back to needing to be 110% in September. I'm not complaining either. I was extremely glad I was slow when it was 95-100F + 90% humidity for 4 days last week.

This Tuesday I start up some of my contract work and that'll keep me busy for 2 weeks straight then the Tuesday after Labor Day the phones will be ringing again.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

August for me has never been a stellar month...which is fine with me since April, May, June, July of this year were. A little lull before the next big push in September and October and then Fall Cleanup season is just fine with me.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Not slow for us. Still playing catch-up from all the rain, working 6 days a week. Bid on 6 jobs in the last two weeks, with no advertising.

5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

ditto ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Not slow for me at all. Booked solid untill October 1st.

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

This whole season has been spectacular! 06 install revenues are up from 05's.August has not been slow at all, I am very pleased with revenues,and margins.

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Aug of 05 came in around 26K this yr we are bugeted for 7K. Unless hurricanes up that anty. Running Skeleton for now. Drought played favorites for a good 6 months and now were dry again just when we need to hammer down. But per say calls are down at least 40% from last yr.

BTW: This was not all cutting grass. Much Much hurricane clean up

9. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Calls always drop way off around the last week of July and pick bnack up in the 3rd or 4th week of August. Got reams of data to back it up too. We learned really quickly to stay booked out 6 weeks ahead, prevents any dropoff in work and allows us to keep our quotes where they need to be and let's us pick the best jobs because we are not desperate for work. Planning is the key to success in this business in my opinion. Our materials yard always dies off at precisely the same time - it's like someone flips a switch.

10. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

This is my second year! I'm so back up, I'll still be working in march at this rate.
    Next year I have to hire a 2nd crew min.
    I have been working 7 days a week most of this summer.
    Now i've picked up 4 Commericial Snow contracts, and still No Plow.
    No Advertising all word of mouth!