1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

economy or what???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Tim Louis, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You're SO SMART!!! Thanks for setting us all straight. I can go paste a smile on my face now.

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Many many times, people say that they would do anything for their family; for their children. It is a cliche to say that you would die for your loved ones. If someone had a gun pointed at your child, wife, mother, father, what would you do? Would you risk your life to save them? People do it all the time.

If you could not feed your family because there were no jobs and someone offered to take care of them financially if you blew yourself up, what would you do?

If they had been going hungry for years, what would you do?

If they had been going hungry for years and your religious belief was that this sort of suicide guaranteed you a spot in heaven, what would you do?

If they had been going hungry for years, your religious belief was that this sort of suicide guaranteed you a spot in heaven and this person wanted you to blow yourself up around the people who were hoarding all of the jobs and money, what would you do?

Not to mention all of the people that we are learning about who are not even intentionally becoming suicide bombers. Many of them think that they are being paid to do something else and when they drive their vehicle to the right place, it is blown up by terrorists behind them in another vehicle.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs came up in another thread and here it is again. It is amazing what people will do in order to satisfy the most basic needs of themselves and their families.

http://web.utk.edu/~gwynne/maslow.HTM

3. JSymons

JSymons LawnSite Member

I have been reading this site for a long time and Dennis is no idiot. If I needed a piece of equipment diagnosed, I can't think of anyone better.

He is entitled to his opinion, whether based on a degree or not. Yes the economy is rolling along, but there are serious imbalances in payments (check your exchange rate recently?) that are starting to drag on that same growth.

I also have an economics degree, and work in accounting all week. I am enough of an economist to know when to say that I don't know where things are headed. Anyone who says they know is kidding themselves..

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Never said I had a degree in ECON, I am in school now for it. I dont mow lawns, I run a Landscaping company. There is a difference, which one do you do?

Trevor

5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone who says they know is kidding themselves.

Correct, my thread was just a vision of where we are going, there are to many variable to know, but with strategic planning, those visions and goals become reality.

Trevor

6. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

my opinion is still the same.... Um... Sure ;)

Do you think they would stop blowing themselves up if we sent them more jobs? More money? It is a fact that we already have been sending more jobs and more money to them and guess what they are doing? They are try to kill us more they ever have before.

7. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

You're entitled to your opinion and so am I.

Most of them ain't blowing themselves up for free. So yes, I believe that if they had work, there would be far fewer of them.

Just my opinion.

:blob4:

8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

There is only a small percentage of oil in Alaska per US needs, the likes of which we could leave there, and just get more efficient, instead of being complacent like Americans notoriously are.

9. ndunn

ndunn LawnSite Member

I mow lawns. glad to hear you don't have a degree yet, it's not too late to switch to something useful.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Bummer, Today I had a job schedule to blow myself up for $125.00 and wouldn't you know it but some lowballer came and did it for $100.00

Lighten up guys. If we all just do our part to hold up the economy, that will help a lot.
    I'm lucky as I am an old fart that will be close to death before our economy fails too much but you kids had better look at ways to support it and work at holding it together. For every dollar you spend, think of where that money is going and if it will help or hurt.