Economy taking a toll - anyone else seeing this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 11, 2008.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Since I made the switch to next day credit cards three years ago, I've only had to file 2 liens. That is, until this winter. I'm getting the run around and dead end BS on several clients this year. I've already filed 2 liens and it looks like I'll have to file 3 or 4 more this year.

I read in the paper that AT&T was experiencing a lot of disconnects because of non-payment.

Got news for you fellas...AT&T is ALWAYS gonna get paid before the lawn guy!

I've also lost several clients, good clients, who have lost their jobs. This happens all the time, but I've noticed it more this winter. And I've lost a couple because, even though they loved our work and our service, they're going to give their business to an unemployed friend. Fine whatever. But my prices are up substantially this year over last year and your "grandfather" status ended when you canceled with me. So when this unemployed stops showing up, and you come back to me, you're going to paying more the same service.

Anyone else seeing tougher times this winter???

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I'm in a slightly different line of work (dealer), but our business is up from last year, and our sales were way up last year...

The economy is taking a toll because the media is playing up this economic downturn and falsely classifying it as a recession. They're actually FUELING this downturn!

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Along those same lines what I found is no matter how good the little system is... Contracts, credit cards, collections, all of those things are great, but I can't rely on it to save me from a deadbeat. These folks don't pay their bills, so no matter who I think I am or what I do, run into one and I will almost for sure not get paid (at least sooner or later).

3 in a row, literally, one after the other, can't beat that for stupidity.
    Looking back thou I should have never done the work, because all the signs were there,
    but I was thinking I had it nailed and they couldn't do it to me no more.
    Found one of them ripped off more than a few companies, so these folks don't just do it to us, certainly not always.

So way I see things there will always be deadbeats, good times or bad.
    Some folks always pay their bills and all of them, others play musical chairs or other silly games with them.
    Should have turned them down, what I should have done.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I don't know if you guys do this, but if I was in the business, I would take a deposit on each account that would be refundable at the end of the term, or if they went deadbeat, it would be nonrefundable. That's just a businessman speaking who doesn't have alot of experience with ya'll's end of the business.

5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Yep

With the economy in the toilet and only getting worse, all the people that had their jobs outsourced and got laid off have to do something for money.

So theyre gonna try mowing lawns.

Youre definately in a good business this year as a dealer.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

this seems typical:

I was afraid it may come here...

Guys the economy is the same.....

There is nothing wrong with it....

other than being an election year........ and that too is typical,

7. FIREPOWER

FIREPOWER LawnSite Member
    from SW Ont

I am still new in the game but the clients I go after seem to be unaffected by the economy...doctors, lawyers, business types with disposable income regardless of what the world is doing.

8. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My sales are up 290% y over y, but I'm still dealing with a lot more declines than usual.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with bohiaa - don't let the media fool you with their ho-humming on the economy, of course they will only give you bad news and yep its an election year and the media wants anything resembling Bush out bad so will blame him for almost everything that happens. Personally, my own microeconomy is doing great - just be smart, stay out of debt, and invest wisely. Be the master not the slave....

10. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Wow! I don't log in as much as I use to, but that is a different story than I remember reading about you! :clapping: Congrats on the change!