Economy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Apr 25, 2008.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I see things how LS that everything is terrible. Then I go over to the trucks, equipment forum and there asking what equipment they should buy, or if they should buy a 350 or a 450 truck. I realize this is one guy out of many but if everything is so bad, why are these guys bying new?

Then as bad as it is, why are LCO's lowering prices so bad. You may not want to admit it on here but I am sure everyone has expereinced this at some point.

Gas is going up, shop labor is up, everything is up but yet my prices are being driven lower by lowballing want-to-be's. I do not think that is good business if I need to cut my price by 20% to match there price b/c then to the customer I look as if I was rippen them off for the last ten years and I know my prices. This is not a hobby, a part time tinker job in the garage, this is the business, the lively hood for my family and crew.

I should of invested in oil futures!

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Points well made above, but you can't control yahoos who choose to make next to nothing in their businesses. And unfortunately, their nonsense can affect us.

And please, please, don't invest in foreign oil. That mess is just killing the country now.

3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Very simple.

One guy with one mower and one truck mows a lawn for $25 and he puts $20 in his pocket.

The "landscape company" that send a crew and does the lawn for $35 puts $5 in his pocket if that after expenses.

Who is making out better?