ECS Controls...did you dislike them at first?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Aug 8, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Just wondering if any of you first disliked the Exmark ECS controls? Recently added a 36" Viking and I'm still learning the mower but man do my hands get tired with the ECS controls if I'm running it for any length of time...also wondering if those things will loosen up a bit as they get more hours on them? My wife mows our yard with it and she can barely use it safely since she has small hands and forearms.

2. Bob's Lawn

Bob's Lawn LawnSite Member

ECS just takes some getting used to.

First thing I learned was not to try and mow too fast. If you are slowing the mower down with the grips all the time your hands will get sore. Slow the mower down so you are making few adjustments with the levers.

I can't imagine going back to pistol grips now.

Good luck,
    Bob

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

As Ultimate Lawns says, the H bar is for "wimps and the limpwristed". And, he's right. However, that only means the controls are so easy anyone can use them. Next time don't listen to what the masses say.........get what's easiest to use.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

No. 100% better than pistol grips.

5. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

There is a breaking in period of about 50-100 hrs after which they become much easier to squeeze. There is also a short learning curve during which you may overuse the controls which can cause stress.

These units will not cause fatigue on anyone but girls, small children, & the elderly once they are properly worked in.

6. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Slowing down the speed will also decrease the distance in the grip, that will help to lighten things up.

Also, are your neutral latches tight? Dealers around here (Weingartz) tighten them up very tight. Seems to me they should be loose and free to swing down on their own when the levers are squeezed (that's why the latches have that extra plastic on the bottom, so gravity pulls them down on their own), automatically putting the machine in gear, that will also make things easier to handle.

7. Doc Pete

Uh oh, you found me out, but I don't wear my dress when I mow.:D

8. Doc Pete

If you don't mind, what parts have to break in???? Maybe after "One Hundred hours", it's not the parts breaking in, but the operators' arms becoming like Popeye's.

9. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Can't speak for pistols, or H-bar, as I never tried them. As a rookie, I like the ECS on mine, but it bothers me the way the operator presence bar seems to cut into the web of my thumbs. I don't know a fix, but I thought about mowing with gloves on. I am kinda getting used to it, but need to keep gloves on for changing deck height, cause ya cann get greasy doin that for sure!!
    Norm

10. Doc Pete

Yeah, it bothered me, too. The H bar has none to fix, remove or fiddle with. Women just love that....;)