ECS handles or Pistol grips?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by kona, Jan 31, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

Any input would greatly be apreciated!!! Which is better!!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Kona,

This is opinion but I say ECS all the way. No comparison. The ECS controls made the Turf Tracer HP a completely different handling machine. In my opinion they make an even greater improvement on the belt drive walk behinds. Incidentally I suspect we're going to sell a lot more ECS models than we do pistol grips.

Each control style has advantages but for me the ECS is more comfortable, easier on my hands and it also helps protect my hands from hitting obstacles like trees and fences. You really need to try them for yourself. Some people will like the ECS controls and some will like the pistol grips. It all comes down to personal preference.

Thanks

Terry

3. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Kona,

I hope you receive this before you buy ECS!

First, I want to begin by saying up until the introduction of ECS, Exmark was the best mower on the market -- no questions! We have several pistol grip exmark mowers and plan on keeping them as long as we can.

In my opinion this was a terrible design mistake make by exmark. They turned a perfect mower into a Toro T-bar machine. They same drawbacks you have in the T-bar is the same drawbacks you'll have with ECS, i.e., lack of control and the inability to prevent a sudden scalping situation.

We purchased 48" TT w/ECS last year. Everyone who used them overwhelming preferred pistol grips. We eventually sold them.

I'm confident all the hype from Exmark about the positive comments about ECS is generated by Exmark. They are a good company, but they made a mistake if they are planning on replacing all their models with ECS. I can only hope that pistol grip options will be there.

Exmark, take a lesson from Toro, they stuck to their guns with t-bar until a year of so ago, when they decided that maybe the t-bar was not the best. They are now offering pistol grip options. The problem is that while they were exclusively offering t-bar, Exmark was capitalizing on their superior mow w/pistol grip. If Toro offered a pistol grip option, Exmark would have never got off the ground.

These are just my opinions, but I'll never recommend a ECS machine for someone who has to mow grass for a living.

ron

4. A+Elawnservice

A+Elawnservice LawnSite Member
    from nj

Hello, I have a toro 32 belt diven and it has the t bar on it (basicly the same thing as the ECS ) just bought in last year and i love it. the dealer said that most perfer these lawn mowers with the esc or t bar rather then the pistil grips bcause you arms to be soor after a full days work and i think he is right the tbar is much better. and as for moverbility and scapling no problem movers quickly and scalping you should have no proble just look fo high hills or bumps. my best advice you should go to your exmark dealer and try the esc and the pistle grips and dicide for your self. Me I would go with esc. once you get use to it (will only take an hour) you will love it. tell me what you get