ECS or Pistol Grip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KINGjosh, Jan 18, 2005.

1. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Is there that much of difference in these, I am eitther getting a SCAG or EXMARK 48" hydro wb, with floating decks. Both dealers have great support, and both dealers are local.

2. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

ecs,i have a belt drive with ecs and love it,and they say it is sweeter on hydro.

3. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I have several Exmark walk behinds. I have both the pistol grip and ECS. Last year was the first full mowing season that I used the ECS. I use one of my mowers with pistol grips for mulching leaves. While everybody raves about the ECS, I actually like both. And I do like Exmark mowers period.

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed an ECS 48 Belt 2 years ago. Had zero problems adjusting from pistols. I think ECS would be superior on 36's as your hands would never get near fences as they may w/ pistols. Disadvantage IMHO is that it may be tougher to elevate the front of the deck. Also, I think shorter guys could possibly have problems w/ them (I'm 6'2").

Demo both for yourself & then make your decision.

5. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I have a belt drive Bobcat 48'' it has the pistol grip.>>>>>>I also have a 48'' Ex-mark with the ECS with Hydro.........it is my choice by far,ECS is the way to go......../............P.S>No direspect to Bobcat because it was my 1 st mower and is a great machine!! :cool2:

6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used pistol grips for over 15 years - last year we bought an exmark wit the ECS system. Needless to say, I converted every last , mower that we had to the ECS system (cept for one) by the end of the year. I'll never use another pistol grip - ECS ALL THE WAY.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I prefer the ECS, We picked up some Toros last year and they had pistol.
    They were 36" so it was easy to hit hands on the fences. If I were still pushing mowers every day I would go ECS.

8. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark 36" hydro with ECS. I just love it, my first mower was an Exmark with pistol grips and my hands would get banged up all the time from fences.
    Spend the lil extra and get the ECS, its awesome with hydro :blob3:

9. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion, Ex-marks with ECS is the only option worth pursueing. I like them so much I converted my old pistol grips to ECS.

10. op4_camper

op4_camper LawnSite Member

Can you still bring the front up in the air with the ecs?
    I bought the pistol grips because I wanted to easly bring the front end up,
    and I got a couple hundred knocked off the price.