ECS retrofit on 36 Metro?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Keith, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 97 Exmark Metro 36 fixed deck that has actually been broken down for over a year. I got it running last night and wondered if the the old-style pistol grip controls could be updated to ECS. If so, is it sold as a kit, or individual parts? And how much am I looking at here, it may not be worth it anyway.

Thanks,
    Keith

BTW, my new Lazer, after 2 weeks has been perfect :)

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Keith,

I have good news for you. We have a kit the part # 103-2444. The handle sells for about $350.00.

The kits go on fairly easy and make a nice upgrade.

Thanks, Fred.

3. Keith

Hey, thanks Fred! I'm going to use the mower a little bit to make sure everything is going to work out with it then weigh my options. But I will probably end up with this kit on this mower.

One more question about this one. Its a M3613KA serial # 138269. The only real trouble it ever gave me was spindle bearings. I always replaced them myself even when it was under warranty because at that time I couldn't be without it for days at a time. Was there an upgraded spindle that came out shortly after this serial number? If so, is it interchangable? Right now they are good, but as I recall, I had just put new bearings and one spindle shaft in it just before it went down for 1+ years.

4. eXmark

Keith,

We have had updates to spindles. I would recommend that you get the latest and greatest. You won't run into any trouble inter changing.

Thanks, Fred.

5. Keith

Hey, thanks again Fred. Any other associated hardware I would need to upgrade when doing these spindles? Different pulleys? BTW, what would the part number be for the spindles I would need?

Keith

6. eXmark

Keith,

Here is the latest cutter housing # 103-2547. Your spindle tube and pulley will remain the same. This will bolt in with no other changes.

Thanks, Fred.

7. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

How "easy" is it to upgrade to the ECS controls? Does the kit have detailed instructions?

8. eXmark

Wojo,

The instructions are pretty clean and the kit is mostly a straight bolt on. You will want an extra pair of hands around however to mount the new handle. You'll also need to drill one hole in each brake bracket and enlarge another. Other than that it's a straight bolt on.

Thanks

Terry

9. syNNer

syNNer LawnSite Member

Wojo, I updated a Turf Tracer with the ECS kit and it was about a 2 hour job between messing around with customers and answering the phone. Not at all complicated as the good people at Exmark include absolutely every nut, bolt and instruction you would need. Good luck with the conversion, you'll love it.

10. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I will be getting one shortly.