ecs vs pistol grip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shm, Aug 18, 2003.

1. shm

shm LawnSite Member

i looked at an exmark metro today the dealer advised getting the pistol grip over the ecs system based on the fact that it is gear driven and he thought he that one gets better leverage with the pistol grip...i had heard that exmark was converting all there mowers to the ecs system..it's $100 for the upgrade

any thoughts? get it or not?

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have ecs and like it. Never experienced a pistol grip on a mower.

3. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

ditto what o-so-n-so said, I haven't had pistol, but ECS is VERY nice, and comfy. The driver presence bar gets on my nerves, but other than that...
    Only thing I have noticed, is that with ECS, if you ran into something, like say, my mailbox or my sailboat trailer tongue, it would try to crush your hand, as opposed to pistol it would drag your hand off it. but I caught both of those a few inches from contact!!
    Norm

4. shm

shm LawnSite Member

anyone know if exmark is getting rid of pistol grips entirely on next years models?

5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I have demoed pistol grips, but have never owned one. Last year, my 1st season, I was using Toro Proline 21's. My 1st larger mower is my Exmark Viking 32 with the ECS. The ECS has been great.

6. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I Converted My only Pistol eXmark to ECS & May attempt to convert my T-Bar Hydros to ECS as Well over the Winter.

7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Quick question about ECS. I have pistol grips on my Bunton. If I'm coming up to a small rock, I just push down on the grips, raise the front of the mower over it and keep going. Can you do this with ECS?

8. shm

shm LawnSite Member

have you noticed a great difference and what type do you have metro or metro hp?

9. sundance

sundance LawnSite Member

Just purchased an exmark metro hp 36" with ecs and have had pistol grips. Ecs has won my vote.

10. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

When I demoed one (ECS) I had difficult time on hills and to lift up in a moments notice was very hard. I still like pistols for myself.