ECS vs pistol Grips...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spalmer97, Apr 9, 2003.

1. spalmer97

spalmer97 LawnSite Member

Just took delivery of my new eXmark 36" 15 hp Kawi v-twin fixed deck w/ pistol grips and I am thrilled with my choice of mowers...Love it! When I was testing these mowers I found that the pistol grip was far more comfortable than the ECS handles...Anyone else choose eXmark pistol grips instead of the ECS ones? Thanks, J.P.

2. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

SLS has attached this image:

[​IMG]

This is my first WB so I was not used to conventional pistol grips. I demoed both versions and went with the ECS style. It felt (and still feels) good to me. Still, I ride the 60'' Lazer most of the time....getting old and lazy I guess.....

I know you will get lot's of enjoyment from your new machine...the TTHP series is just awesome!

:D

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Another smart guy. The problem with ECS is on a belt drive machine, the ECS grips are too high, too close and at the wrong angle to let you "manually" pull the one side to perform a zero turn as easily as the old pistol grip. A giant step backwards for mankind. It's an example of an "engineer" desiging something who has no idea of the "hands on" application.
    Pete

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Congradulations on your purchase. Didn't know they where offering a 15 Kaw this year. Personnally My main mower is an ECS. Love the controls on it compared to the pistol grips on my other mower. The position on the ECS just feels much more natural and at the end of the day my hands and fore arms are much happier compared to the pistol grips. Good luck with your new mower.

Rhett

5. spalmer97

Rhett...Good catch! I purchased a new 2002 machine(floor model, never used)...Glad I did because I love this 15hp v-twin...You just have to think about pulling it and it starts.

6. Doc Pete

Observe how far the throttle butterfly opens. It should have a "stop" that only allows it to open about half way. Break off the throttle stop, check the governor linkage, and you now have 17 instead of 15 horsepower. Good luck,
    Pete

7. spalmer97

Thanks Pete!

8. Doc Pete

Hope it helps.... AND...... How come it seems as though the "Sun" is "actually" shinning, in that photo:D :D :D

9. spalmer97

Not sure...That's not my rig...

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Pete,

Sun, what sun? Its still winter and 36 degrees with snow on the ground outside! :eek:

Is that really true on the 15 & 17hp Kawi's? I thought I remember someone telling me it was a different camshaft and a totally different carb. :confused: