ECS vs T-Bar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, May 2, 2004.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I'm about to get a wb and my dealer guy keeps trying to convince me to go with the T-Bar system because when you stop "pushing, the mower stops" vs the ECS keeps going, (or something like that). Anyone got any idea what he's talking about? Plus, which float deck is easier to raise (toro/exmark - and what year ranges)?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im not sure about the ecs, I do own a T-bar and he is pretty much correct, when you stop pushing the mower should return to a neutral position but the hand brake is at the handle position and easy to set. The deck is very easy to adjust on the toro, Im not sure on the exmark but in pictures ive seen they are simalar

3. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Demo them to find out the pros and cons of both machines. I have never used a Toro T-bar before but it does look like a more comfortable setup. So give them both a good demo and see what works best for you? They both look more comfortable than the pistol grips. ThatÂ’s what sold me on my SWB. Good luck and I hope you get the best machine for your needs.

Jeff

4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52 Toro w 18 Koh. classic style. If you let go of drive

or T bar the blade and forward motion stop. On ECS

the safety only shuts off the engine which allows it to coast a

few feet before stopping. On ECS to stop forward motion pull

both handles and flip the holders. T bar pull bar back either hand.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

on a belt drive I highly recommend the T bar vs. the ECS. The t bar is "push to go" and returns to neutral w/o engine kill when you release the bar (at least on electric pto models). But the main point is when you stop pushing, it stops going. The ECS is a "squeeze to slow" design where you set a gear and it takes off until you slow it with the control levers. You can't just let go and have it stop. It will stop, but only becuase the safety system kills the engine. I also find it easier to pull the mower a little in tight turns with the T bar. You can one -hand a T bar on even terrain once you get practiced. The ECS isn't bad, but I wouldn't have one. Tires me out.

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

T-Bar on the Belts...ECS on the Hydros!

But Why Would you Buy a Belt?

ecst-bar.jpg

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

thanks guys, what about raising the decks. I heard the new toro floats suck for adjusting:-\

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Here is my 99 Toro with SFS deck. Its not hard to adjust the deck on this one. I have a hydro with T-bar and really like it.

june3 153.jpg