eddm vs door hangers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dnc19694339, Feb 22, 2013.

1. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

eddm is up to 16 cents

even at that rate can you actually pay people to do door hangers cheaper than that?
    I am asking because I dont think my guys have ever done more than 500-600 per day and at $10/hr + taxes,ins (almost all my guys make more than that) it seems to me like eddm is a better deal and I dont have to supervise them.

I dont have door hanger companies around here and Im not sure I would trust them to deliver them all if i did

What do you guys think?

2. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I did flyers last year.

This year after I get my taxes done, which is soon, I planed on trying using the UPS. At $.16 x 1,000 = $160.

With the price of gas and the time it would take me to get 1,000 flyer's on mail boxes seems to be worth it to get the word out in a timely manner.

Thing is for every 1,000 homes that is another $160. Those $160's add up fast. Before you know it that bargin becomes $320, then $480, $640.

Is it worth $640 to reach 4,000 homes?

Well if EDDM brings in 1% new customers, that is 40 new customers.

I would say that if EDDM brought in a .5% that would be 20 new customers.
    20 new customers would make me very happy.

3. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am wondering this myself. It is an option that I am really looking into this year. My goal is to be able to do both: send the EDDM postcards out, and then a week after I know they have been delivered, send the guys out to door-hanger those neighborhoods. Hit 'em twice to get your name into their mind.

4. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I just ordered my postcards for my EDDM campaign this year. I plan on having them in mail boxes late next week. I am doing 2507 mailings. I ordered 2500 fliers. I targeted the routes that run the neighborhoods I want to work. All are within 5 miles from home. Being new this year, I wanted to get my name out before the other LCOs. If I get 1% ROI, I will be ecstatic. If I get .5% I will be satisfied. If I get 0 I will do it again. Right now with no accounts, I need to get the ball rolling. Hopefully its gets rolling quickly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

I have not pinned down the number I am sending out yet but I am going to do them 3 times to the same addresses.

I am thinking about 6500 3 times thats 19500 so I will order 20K and have 500 left to hand out.

6. jequigle

jequigle LawnSite Member

I am doing 10,000 in the next week. already have the postcards.

7. ryan41

ryan41 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm doing 5,000 middle of March (live in Wisconsin, still snow on the ground)

8. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Doing 2 different mailings of 5000 (2500 each, might do 1 of 5000) near the end of March, March 25th or so I'm thinking unless it warms up quicker. Since when did it go up to .16?! That's another $75 for me!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. sterlinglawns

sterlinglawns LawnSite Member

Did EDDM several times last year, spent lots of money and got terrible results. I got maybe half to a quarter of 1% But after hitting large numbers of houses with door hangers I got the same results roughly. So after much consideration I believe my "call to action" was too weak and not inspiring people to call. My website pulls most of my biz now but I would really advice you to make sure your postcards/EDDM pieces have a strong call to action or you may be wasting money.

10. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine is centralized around a full service maintenance plan on one side and installs/hardscapes on the other. What did yours look like? What is your target market, did most of your postcards reach those properties?
    Posted via Mobile Device