Edge Course

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Scheib, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Scheib

Scheib LawnSite Member

I been searching this forum for a while, but maybe not enough. I thank you all for the wealth of information on this site. I've started this project and am about half way done. Most of the rest of it will be straight edged. I have screwed up in thinking that I did not need an edge course or soldiers.

I am using Dimex Edge Pro edge restraints. I didn't want to use an edge course, because in the skinny part next to the stairs by the time I put a sq or rec on both sides, I'd have 5 inches of field area. Plus most of the path has straight edges and I didn't think it did enough for the looks of the path.

My question to you is what can I do now that I have a day and half of install under way (yes, I'm slow). Can I reinforce the cut pieces with a concrete restraint? or would you say my only option is to go back with maybe a single holland edge course?

I am not a professional and this is my property. In payment for your suggestions, I included a photo. May it bring you much laughter and enjoyment.

Nessa 030.JPG
  2. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

What is the purpose of all this?
  3. Scheib

Scheib LawnSite Member

Light ped traffic. Maybe a wheelbarrow everynow and then.
  4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

6. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I don't get the layout it looks a little strange. you should remove that triangle it doesn't look good.
  7. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Why bother with a drain.It's sloped like a rollercoaster,that should take care of any water.:dizzy:
  8. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

Take the center triangle out and fill it with pavers. Then you won't miss the boarder course.
  9. Scheib

Scheib LawnSite Member

I expected some wise cracks, go ahead tear it up, but how about a suggestion or two for my payment (listening to your SA remarks).

Patriot, the 16" wide path with the two steps goes directly from the gate to the bottom of my steps up to the back deck which I am standing on. The wide path with the drain in it, that goes down the slope is to get from the gate (side driveway) to the backyard. And of course the path 5 pavers wide to get from the deck to the yard. I didn't want to put steps where the slope is so I could roll wheelbarrow over it or my daughters toy vehicles when she is older. The triangle of "green space" is going to probably hold a bird bath/fountain.

ZX12R, a lot of water comes down my side driveway, under the gate and used to erode my yard. I installed the drain basin about a year ago. It works good. I should have redesigned the drain when I decided to install pavers. Instead I worked the pavers design around the drain. You should see a better view of that area. I'm not sure I like it.

Hopefully I'll get some good suggestions to my question and I'll feel like posting some other pictures.

Not that I don't enjoy the comments, Kootoo your a hoot. Yeah, it doesn't really rhyme, but it looks like it might.
  10. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Take that catch basin out. Theres no need for it. The water will automatically drain to the lower part naturally. I would create a nice oval triangle in the center and eliminate the hard cut edges. The triangle between the wall could be turned towards the wall and eliminate that point. If your using this area as a planting bed, nothing will fit in that vanishing point. You can continue without a solider course for a more flowing look. When you cut the pavers, none of the pieces should be tiny. If you can turn two small pieces into one bigger piece that would add to the integrity.