Edge w/ an edger or a trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Curious Porpoise, Jan 31, 2006.

?

How do you edge?

1. Edger

23 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Trimmer

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. Both

21 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

last year was my first year, and i did all my edging w/ an edger. i tried a couple times to edge w/ a trimmer, but i wasn't getting the hang of it fast enough (and didn't want to mess up people's lawns in the mean time), so i decided to stick w/ the edger... who uses edger's and who uses trimmers? pro's and con's of both?

2. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

At the beginning of the cutting season I hand edge all my smaller lawns and rent a bededger an do all my big lawns first. The rest of the year I just use my string trimmer. :)

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

this one has really been beat to death here, and is one of the things people here just cant agree on....... i use stick edger, just as fast as atrimmer, but looks better...

i can see the brown edges on lawns edged with a trimmer line....

4. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Reasons I edge with edger: you can't mess up with an edger while a trimmer can and will get away from you once in a while, it is safer with no debris flying off the edger, faster, and just plain looks better, and right, you don't have the brown edges as you do from the trimmer. Also, sometimes you can get by without edging the next week when you have established that fine edge along a walk or driveway.

5. Reliable1

Reliable1 LawnSite Member

I do both. I use the stick edger in the early spring to establish a good edge and then the remainder of the season I use a trimmer equipped with the "edgit"........Edgit does a superb job and you can do both with one trimmer. Allows me to be very efficient.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you were to do a search, the list of results for this particular topic would take several days to read through, at least! lol

7. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Edger always looks more professional.But i have been known to turn the old echo upside down!!:eek:

8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I NEVER use a trimmer for edging I get jobs because of how good I edge.
    I use a Stihl 110 fs

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

DIDO dave!