1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Edger Blades - Which Type?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, May 31, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

So I see for edgers, there are different types of blades:

8 point blades, Star Blades, Sharpened or unsharpened blades and serrated blades.

For edging, which one do you guys use?

2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I have an echo edger....just use their blades...they are unsharpened....makes a very nice edge.....they are 3bucks or so for two.....
  3. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

Use Stihl edger. My dealer sells straight blades 10 for $10.00.
  4. greenflag

greenflag LawnSite Member

I usually use the standard unsharpened blades. I bought a couple of the 4 blade star blades. They make a very nice looking edge. I'm not sure they are worth the price difference $4 vs. $0.99.

I also hit the edge of the concrete more on the curves, like the driveway entry.
  5. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

I'm on Greenflag"s side. More $$$$ back in your pocket.
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

4 blade here. cuts thru just about anything you come across, leaves a great edge.
  7. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Again I just go to my Exmark dealer (they sell shindiawa also) and say "give me a box of edger blades". They are unsharpened and that is all I know. They are around $1 each and work very well.:D
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

the four sided is great for first of the year edging and those new customers that the homeowner/previous care taker didn't edge. standard works good to maintain it onces it's done once or twice.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I only use the star blades now. They eliminate any bermuda stragglers and they actually outlast 5 or 6 regular blades. I was going thru 1 to 2 blades per week. Now I go for about 3 weeks on a star blade. Comes out about the same price, but the star blade makes it quicker because you don't have to slow down in bermuda to get the stragglers. Paying the extra $$ puts $$$ back in my pocket. Just much faster with the stars.