Edger & Existing Beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pines, Mar 21, 2004.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Do any of you use a metal edger that you use for driveways/sidewalks etc. as a means of edging existing beds around trees, beds etc. Thanks

2. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Maybe I didn't ask the question clear enough. I was speaking of a motorized edger. If not, how do you edge out an existing soil / mulch edge? Sorry about not making myself clearer.

3. homerescue

homerescue LawnSite Member
    from wv

Well pines I've tried a a small walk behind edger to cut between grass and mulch to try to keep the grass from growing into the beds, I think that is the reason why you are suppose to edge bed s every now and then. But anyway my edging didn't seem to neatly done, dirt and grass in mulch, going to try a stick edger this year,don't know if that will be any better, or maybe I just need more practice, i would like to here from others myself. Would hate to edge without motorized euipment in flower beds, it would take forever.

4. pines

pines LawnSite Member

I appreciate your reply. I am speaking of creating the new edge for the spring just prior to a new mulch application. The soil/ grass debris can be "lost" in the bed prior to this new layer of mulch. Thanks

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

To get a good clean edge around a bed they make a '' bed edger'' It has a wide blade or i should say multiple blades on it and can make a clean edge in 1 pass

6. pines

pines LawnSite Member

I have one & it is great for creating new beds. I am just looking for a quick & clean method of creating edges on existing beds that need a fixup.

7. mickman

mickman LawnSite Member

On my" bed edger " they make a re-defining blade for existing beds for around $100-120. that's mostly all I use, unless I'm edging new beds.

8. homerescue

homerescue LawnSite Member
    from wv

mickman does that redefining blade throw alot of dirt and grass back up into the beds and the mulch that would need to be cleaned out.

9. pines

pines LawnSite Member

What type of edger do you have?

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

easiest and most effective way is to use a Brown (or other brand) bed edger. It has an auger that pulverizes the soil which you then just brush into the beds and mulch over. Very easy, very profitable. It does not do wwll however going around trees plus you dont want to be cutting any tree roots that may be near the surface so we hand edge tree rings

You can rent one of these for about $75/day, much less for a week