Edger has no guts

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sunedog, Sep 2, 2004.

1. sunedog

sunedog LawnSite Member

I'm not a professional, just a homeowner. So I hope you don't mind me posting a question here.

I have a Craftsman 4 HP edger/trimmer that is 6 years old. Model is 536.772300. It has recently gotten very wimpy. It starts and runs OK, but the blade stops when it meets minimal resistance. I used to be able to edge rather deeply and angle the blade away from the sidewalk at 15 degrees to make a more pronounced edge. It will cut grass, but now the blade just stops when it hits any soil. The engine RPM's don't change, the belt just slips.

I thought the original belt had stretched so I replaced it. No improvement.

Is there some adjustment I can make to get more power to the cutting head? The manual doesn't list any adjustments like this.

Thanks for your help.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the Sears model number. I went to Sears Web site to see what you had and I thank I have found you problem or at least a place to start. That type edger the belt is spring loaded and I have had them come in the shop and the spring arm would be rusted or jammed. Check the area pictured below to make sure it works free. You may have to take the belt off to do your checking.

copy (2) of leadimage.jpg

3. sunedog

sunedog LawnSite Member

Thanks, fixer67. I'll check it out tonight. It makes sense that that big spring pushes the part that holds the blade (the quill assembly according to the manual) out to tension the belt. Maybe it's bound up or something.

Do those springs require periodic replacement?

4. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

You could also check the air filter to see if the motor is restricted by a dirty filter element.

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Never had to replace one yet. If the engine is running OK then that is where I would start. At the MTD school I was told that MTD (they make one just like the Sears unit, it may be the Sears unit) that they were thank on rewriting the owners manual to cover "Cleaning of Tension Spring" because of dirt jamming it up and people not knowing how to clear it out.

6. sunedog

sunedog LawnSite Member

I fixed my edger that had no guts. :blob3:

Took the belt off and was examining the pulleys to see if I could see anything wrong with them. The drive pully is made in two halves and it bolts onto the crankshaft. The bolt must have loosened because the pulley halves were separated which caused the belt to slip. I lossened the bolt, worked the pulleys back together (they are keyed to the crankshaft), and tightened the bolts. She runs like a champ now.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions here.