Edger or edgit?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Jun 30, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Is an edgit worth getting or should I just buy an edger or make my next trimmer the kind with attatchments?

I only have one trimmer at the time so can the edgit just easily pop right off?

2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

An edgit works good at maintaining an already established edge. If the grass has overgrown the sidewalk by several inches your going to need an edger to actually cut it back, you would be there all day trying to do it with a string trimmer and an edgit attachment. My advice would be to purchase an actual stick edger, you won't regret it and stay away from the Echo PE-200 sold at Home Depot, not enough power.

3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with a stick edger. It leaves a much cleaner cut than a string trimmer. Besides, like Wells said, when you get to a lawn which is overgrown the string trimmer won't be able to do the job.

4. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

We maintain our edges with a string trimmer. Looking to get an edgit. However, a stick edger is necessary for lawns that have never had good edges. To switch from trimmer to edger is time consuming, thats why we use the trimmers

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Me too!!! I will establish edges w/ an edger and maintain w/ string trimmer.

6. BlueShieldLawnCare

BlueShieldLawnCare LawnSite Member

We use a stick edger to edge, and a string trimmer to weedeat. We've found that's what looks the best, takes the least amount of time, and is most cst effective.

7. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

The edgit stays on ..but it will mantain an edge and saves line IMHO ....I love mine . But I do have to use an edger on over grown edges...

8. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

How can it be quicker and more cost effective to use both trimmer and edger every week on a property?maybe if you have two guys weedeating,one can edge,and one can weedeat. But for the solo guy that would mean extra time.

9. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

How much time would it take? One minute? You should slow down a little an do a better job.

10. BlueShieldLawnCare

BlueShieldLawnCare LawnSite Member

There are 2 of us, and it is quicker for us bc we work as a team. We emphasize QUALITY over how fast we can get out of there, and that's what keeps our clients with us. We don't leave until the property looks good, and if that takes a few extra minutes, so be it.