Edger or upside down Trimmer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 10, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Does an edger save time or keep edges in tact longer than using a trimmer upside down? I notice that they always make the dirt be more visable somehow. One thing I notice is that it's sometimes hard to go fast with a trimmer and get really straight work. Is an edger quicker? How often must u do this? I can make pretty nice edges the way I'm doing it now so why get put out more $ for something else like that?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Get an edger, you'll run into tuff situations where a string trimmer won't cut it. :laugh:

Once you get a good edge cut then a string trimmer will do the trick. I like stick edgers as they are fast and cut just as cleanly as a full size machine, and if you can find just the edger atachment then you can swap it onto your trimmer when you need it.

I have a stihl string trimmer, non combi, with hedge clippers, edger, tiller head and a dethacher for it.

One bonus about the edger, it cuts a cleaner, more profesional edge. If it was a run down house, use a trimmer. A million dollar property, edger.

3. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

AGREE 100% A PROFESSIONAL HAS AN EDGER AND CARRIES IT WITH THEM
    THE HACK DOESNT HAVE OR OWN AN EDGER

4. green-pa

I have an Echo srm-230. It was like $250 I think. Hoping I can get an attatchment for it. Yeah, some places I'm thinking an edger would help and like u say, once it's established then I was hoping to use the trimmer to maintain it.

5. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

once the edge groove is cut in you can pretty much maintain the edge one handed with the edger as it will just follow its own previous groove

6. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Get the edger. I am not saying you are not able to edge but most guys even thsoe of us with lost of experience with a trimmer know that only an edge can cut a straigh edge. with the trimmer you tend to actually scalp the edge of the yard. Once you get a nice edge cut you can maintain it with the string trimmer pretty easily. I will edge most of my yards once a month since I am working with hybrid blue grass and fescue. if I was in centipede I would edge almost every time I was their. I hope this helps

7. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Edger, every single time...

8. Since you are interested in saving money I will chime in.

There was a time when stick edgers were not around, and all the industry had was walk-behinds. Very few of the LCOs in Hawaii hauled walk behinds with them.

We just used string trimmers...Shindy T-27s to do the edging. Extra power of these motors (27cc) would make 1st edge. After that you can go much faster and throttle back on the trimmer once the edge was set. You get used to the heavier trimmer. I've always thought that this was the cats meow...having one piece of equipment to do many tasks.

So, many of us never have used the edger, and saved money on not buying the extra equipment. And in a few weeks you would edge like a pro with the line trimmer.

That being said, I would love a stick edger, just to make that 1st edge FASTER, but I will manage without.

Aloha, P.Y.S.

9. green-pa

Interesting. I will manage without for now for I have to invest $300 or more on a chainsaw and also have my main mower down at the moment and don't know how much the repair will cost. But maybe in a while I'll check one out. I'm doing pretty good with my trimmer for now; the slower and steadier I walk and focus straight, it's magic-the more straight the edge is. :clapping:

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, even with a good edge already cut it will never look as good as if you used an edger. I've seen a trimmer used on an edge too many times and you get a groove that looks a little ragged.

Go my route if you need to save money. I found an old-school edger (MTD?) that looked to be out of the seventies. Cost- 15 dollars. They are a simple design and not hard to maintain as they haven't changed much over the years. The only down-fall was that it was hard to use on curbs. I still use it today to cut edges of beds if I don't feel I need to bring in a bed edger.