1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Edger vs Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by optus, Oct 10, 2006.

1. optus

optus LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I was just curious if most people prefer to use an edger versus using a trimmer for edging? Advantages/Disadvantages? I'm trying to decide on buying a trimmer, along with an edger attachment, like the Stihl 90R or 100R. I recently used a Stihl 110 Edger at my house and it did a great job. The edge seems so much cleaner than trying to edge with a trimmer, which usually comes out scruffy and to wide. Just wondering if it's worth the extra money for the attachment.

2. skurtz78

skurtz78 LawnSite Member

I just got an edge-it at the show in Louisville and after using it for 2 days I like it. Took some time to get used to trimming with the disc there but now it is easy. Makes the edges look great also. I have not searched it on here but i am sure others use it also.

3. Phil's Lawn Care

Phil's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I was just going to start a new thread on this site about what kind of edger to get, for the guys who say the edger is the way to go. I am looking for a stihl or echo stick edger. Not sure how much they cost and if you could fill me in on that, that would be great. I am not looking at a top of the line edger, but a middle or even lower range because I am only 16. Thanks for the help and I don't mean to butt in on the original question, just thought I could incorporate both into one thread.

4. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

SKURTZ ..The Edgeit is a great tool !!

5. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Got a link for the tool?

6. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

I prefer the stick edger to the trimmer. I can run with my Shindawa, so it makes that part of the the lawn go much faster for me. Plus, I can't ever seem to get the trimmer to do as good of a job as my edger.(Tried) Not to mention the trimmer line wears quicker.

7. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the edgit, used it for 2 days and returned it, Hated it! Kept sticking in the bearings,good idea for those people like myself who can't use a string trimmer to edge, but to me the string trimmer really does make to deep of a cut, prefer the Redmax edger, but to each their own.
    Dave K

8. johnscag

johnscag LawnSite Member
    from Balt md

I love my echo pro series !!!
    PS Only use the smaller blades.

9. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

i use a stick edger for 99% of our lawns edges; faster, easier and better results. The odd 1% already have at least half of an inch grove between sidewalk and grass so i dont have much of a choice on that yard.

10. green_with_envy

green_with_envy LawnSite Member
    from pa

I use both. Trimmer for small quickies. Stick edger for long runs and a walk behind for the really nasty stuff. The stick edger looks the best though. Using a Husky.