Edger vs Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by optus, Oct 10, 2006.

1. optus

optus LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I was just curious if most people prefer to use an edger versus using a trimmer for edging? Advantages/Disadvantages? I'm trying to decide on buying a trimmer, along with an edger attachment, like the Stihl 90R or 100R. I recently used a Stihl 110 Edger at my house and it did a great job. The edge seems so much cleaner than trying to edge with a trimmer, which usually comes out scruffy and to wide. Just wondering if it's worth the extra money for the attachment.
  2. skurtz78

skurtz78 LawnSite Member

I just got an edge-it at the show in Louisville and after using it for 2 days I like it. Took some time to get used to trimming with the disc there but now it is easy. Makes the edges look great also. I have not searched it on here but i am sure others use it also.
  3. Phil's Lawn Care

Phil's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I was just going to start a new thread on this site about what kind of edger to get, for the guys who say the edger is the way to go. I am looking for a stihl or echo stick edger. Not sure how much they cost and if you could fill me in on that, that would be great. I am not looking at a top of the line edger, but a middle or even lower range because I am only 16. Thanks for the help and I don't mean to butt in on the original question, just thought I could incorporate both into one thread.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

SKURTZ ..The Edgeit is a great tool !!
  5. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Got a link for the tool?
  6. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

I prefer the stick edger to the trimmer. I can run with my Shindawa, so it makes that part of the the lawn go much faster for me. Plus, I can't ever seem to get the trimmer to do as good of a job as my edger.(Tried) Not to mention the trimmer line wears quicker.
  7. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the edgit, used it for 2 days and returned it, Hated it! Kept sticking in the bearings,good idea for those people like myself who can't use a string trimmer to edge, but to me the string trimmer really does make to deep of a cut, prefer the Redmax edger, but to each their own.
    Dave K
  8. johnscag

johnscag LawnSite Member
    from Balt md

I love my echo pro series !!!
    PS Only use the smaller blades.
  9. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

i use a stick edger for 99% of our lawns edges; faster, easier and better results. The odd 1% already have at least half of an inch grove between sidewalk and grass so i dont have much of a choice on that yard.
  10. green_with_envy

green_with_envy LawnSite Member
    from pa

I use both. Trimmer for small quickies. Stick edger for long runs and a walk behind for the really nasty stuff. The stick edger looks the best though. Using a Husky.