Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Experturf, May 20, 2008.

1. Experturf

Experturf LawnSite Member

I'm just getting started in the commercial mowing business and I'm looking for an edger. Any suggestions? What are the good brands?
  2. Experturf

Experturf LawnSite Member

Just to clarify that's an edger that would be used to edge by sidewalks, driveways, etc
  3. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

The world's first and only shaft/gear driven walk-behind edger! Available by Spring 2006. 50cc, 2.5HP 2-stroke engine, solid steel drive shaft, heavy duty two-stage air filtration system, unique height adjustment system, stronger and longer throttle and height adjustment wires, not available in California, and two year commercial warranty.
  4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

What type? walk behind or stick?

If you are looking at a WB I've heard plenty of good things about McLane and Little Wonder, on edit I see Tanaka was mentioned they seem to get high praise as well.

If it's a stick edger Stihl has a few you may like. They have the FC 90 curved shaft, FC 100 curved shaft, FC 95 straight shaft and the FC 110 straight shaft. They also have an FC 75, but it's not as powerful as the others. The 75 is 25.4cc's, the 90 & 95 are 28.4cc's, the 100 & 110 are 31.4cc's.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
  5. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Go With a stick edger. Walk behinds don't do curbs at all. A stick edger will save tons of time and will do as good as job as any walk behind. I have an edger attachment that goes on my back-up string trimmer. I just swap it out when I need to.
  7. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an Echo PE-200 whixh I used to like but it's really underpowered. Echo and Stihl are pretty good brands though.
  8. Lazer_Z

from NJ

I love my FC110 it's soon going to be a KM130 with the edger attachment. If I needed a WB edger, I'd have to go with the Tanaka.
  9. AWR

AWR LawnSite Member

tanka...the best edger in the world..if ever have to do a first time edge thats your machine ..the only reason i dont like the stick edgers is yeah it might save you a little time on the outside curb and just in genaral(which you can do the outside curb with) is i use my tanka to edge out new beds ,cut back ivy etc. you cant do that with a stick and i always beleive its better to have to much power that too little in this buissness. and once you have an edge its just as fast as a stick
  10. Lazer_Z

from NJ

Yes you can do the same with a stick and as far as power goes, the Stihl FC110 is 31.4cc's a KM130 is 36.3cc's so they have more than enough power to cut through an over grown edge. I can walk one handed with my 110 and it's very easy to follow curves with it as well.