Edgers for mulch beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JayD, Nov 8, 2007.

1. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys & gales,
    Has any of you used one of these edgers, TURF TEQ, E-Z TRENCH, BED EDGER for mulch/flower beds etc.?
    I would like to get some feedback on theses or others like them.
    1) are they worth the money?
    2) pros and cons about any of these?
    3) What do they cost?
    4) what or how do you charge for using one?
    5) or anything else that you can think of that I did'nt.
    I had looked at the BED EDGER at the show, but the cost was a little high I thought, but if they are really worth the purchase and can make me some money, than I could see it. Thats why I'm calling on you all for some input. I know that it would depend on how much I could use it, I would like to make it part of my service to offer, you know, more side work.
  2. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

I've rented two of three, but have never heard of Turf Teq. The machines I rented performed comparably to one another. I asked the rental house for price and recall ~$2500 new, ~$1400 used. I don't see an abundance for sale through any avenue, meaning they could be hard to find used locally. I typically unit price services but have yet to develop a per ft. price with the machines. Also, I prefer to use them with new bed intalls or when mulching, because they generate some mess in the existing beds.
  3. JayD

Oh OK, I never thought about the mess in the beds. The Bed Edger that I saw at the show was around $2500.
    So do you see a lot of calls for this kind of work? I know on many of my customers, they could use the service.I never thought about rent either. I'll have to check into that as well.
  4. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

I almost never get into a conversation with a prospective client about "beds" without discussing edging. But my opinion is that it's a hard sale for edging only. Again, I rent, so the first 50-70 dollars goes to the rental house. I might have the opportunity to 'sell' someone edging 10-12 times per year, but only perform 4-6 such services. Really, for my business model, I'd compare it to a sod cutter, another great $2500 tool that will get used about five times per year.
  5. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

There is an almost new EZ Trench for sale here on LAWNSITE. I think it is priced at $1,250.00 now and I think it is located in Michigan. I have the same machine and it does a great job. Even though you may not use the edger that often renting is a time consuming pain. And since the EZ Trench has a Honda engine this tool will last forever.

At this price you can't go wrong. If you find you are not using it enough down the road you can always sell it and not take as big of a hit as a new machine.

6. JayD

Very good advice green. It would make sense to just line up all that work for one time and then go rent.Thanks