Edgers- Why use them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Nov 27, 2004.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I noticed basically everyone on this site uses edgers as part of their daily lawn cutting. I have one in my garage and it only comes out on mulch jobs. On all beds I use my trimmer by turning it 180 degrees and walking right to left. This leaves a 90 degree angle from grass to bed. Looks great! I do the same for sidewalks. Am I missing something?
    Thanks

2. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

I am the same way....wondering the same thing.

I have not seen a need for an edger yet. I leave great looking cut edges with a line trimmer.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

We had one that only got used for an intial kerf and then just used string trimmer from there on out. The McClane sat in the corner most of the time gathering dust.

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I've got a stick edger that only gets used on really tough stuff, like walks that haven't been edged in 20 years, or like you say, cutting an initial edge on beds. I almost ended up with a Mclane at an auction, but now I'm kind of glad I didn't get it.

A good string trimmer is a versatile tool.

5. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

12 years ago I bought a Little Wonder edger and still have it today , it has about 5 hours use total..... By far the biggest unneeded piece of equipment I have......... Its for sale cheap if anyone wants it.............

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have a stick edger that I only use at my house. The main advantage so far as I can tell is that you can get a much more fine-line cut between a hard surface like a driveway or sidewalk and the lawn. I mean a dead ass stop from 4" fescue 90 degrees to the hard surface. I'm not saying that this look cant be achieved with a trimmer, but lets put it this way, it's not common and much more difficult.

7. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a large area boardered by sidewalks and drives, you can edge faster with a stick edger then a string trimmer. Any beds are edged with string trimmers. On commercial properties where there is a lot of area to edge then the stick edgers work best. Another reason besides speed is that it uses less trimmer line. Steel blades go further. The cost of the line isn't the reason but the time it takes to re-string the FS85's.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sure PM with the price I'm interested, found a nitch for them that makes me a nice little profit twice a yr. The real overgrown lawns, people espesially the elderly will gladly pay to have them edged twice a yr even if they do everything else themselves. So always interested in a good CHEAP edger

Mac

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Mac
    Do you really like those little wonders? I have one almost brand new in my shed I have never used it I bartered with a customer to get it sounded like a good idea at the time.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

very few people up here want edging done at all. I am lucky to do edging on about 5% of my customers here