1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MMLC, Apr 24, 2006.

1. MMLC

MMLC LawnSite Member

Hey guys and gals!

If you had to buy your first edger what would you suggest? I like the portability of a stick edger but the walk behind edger such as a mclane seems like it would have more power. What do you think. Keep in mind I can only afford one right now.

2. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Stick edger is faster, more versatile, and takes up much less space. You can pick up a nice stick edger for 300 bucks or so. Echo, Stihl, Redmax, Shindaiwa, tananka, kawasaki, are all good brands.
  3. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

I got an echo pas-260 and the edger attachment, which cost about $400 total. It works OK, but my friend uses a cheap walkbehind that cost less and gets the job done quicker. If it's really overgrown I need to go over the edge twice to get it looking nice.
  4. MMLC

MMLC LawnSite Member

Thanks guys!
  5. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

Hey check out edgit for your trimmer.
    edgit.com (www of course)

I have used it so far and it is great for edging and only have to use one piece of equipment.

6. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

How well does the edgit work for regular bed edging. Not an initial edge just the weekly or biweeklyedging of a bed in between the mulch and grass? Seems like mulch would be flying everywhere.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, the stick edger is lighter and smaller but if you are looking for a wheeled edger, check out little wonder!
  8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

more windows are broken with people usinga trimmer to edge then anything else..... too much flying debre... use a stick edger..
  9. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

If i were you I would bye an echo or stihl, I used them at some condos yesterday for the first time and they are good.(echo)
  10. buckshot80

buckshot80 LawnSite Member

do you use the edgit on a str8 shaft or curved?