Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grassboy, Feb 28, 2000.

1. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

I wasn't going to buy an edger, just rent one from a friend when I needed it, but a lot of customers of mine have asked me if I could edge. They also want me to re-define the beds. Meaning they want me to re-cut the edges of the mulch beds. Can I re-define the beds with an edger by tilting it 45 degrees. WHAT KIND OF EDGER SHOULD I GET. I'M THINKING LOW PRICE HERE.<p>Thanks, <br>Grassboy
  2. pete

pete LawnSite Member

I would recomend a stick edger for your sidewalks. Once you establish your edge maintain it every week or two and you wont ever have a problem. Wheel edgers are expensive and bulky. With the stick edger you will have to take a little more time the first time around but after that you can rock and roll. As for the beds, either rent a bed edger or whip out the old nursery spade. I have never had good results even triming with my stick edger.
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

last spring i purchased a little wander push edger....great machine but was a waste of all that money. the only time you need to use a egder is on new jobs and once a years on your regulars to redefine the edge in the spring. after that you egde for the rest of the season with a string trimmer... looks great if you no what your doing! my advice is home to home depot and buy the cheapest mtd egder you can find... for the amount of time youll use it it will last forever....actually they have the same briggs engine as the littlle wander. i wish i hadnt spent 400 bucks on a edger i use so little. as for egding beds....you cant use a egder to redefine them, you have to use a spade like the previous post said. after that you edge them weekly with a string trimmer.
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the previous 2 posts, go with a quality stick edger. Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa. I hardly ever use mine, I just use the string and it looks great, better than amateurs who use a stick edger.
  5. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

Wait a second. What is a &quot;bed edger&quot;? Does MTD make a wheel edgers? If not, who makes the cheapest wheel edger? Thanks for all the help so far. Anyone want to answer these new questions too????<br>
  6. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

Anybody else want to reply??? Please.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Grassboy, Go to http://www.brownmfgcorp.com/ to see what a bed edger is. Rent it! Bob
  8. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

a stick edger is the best you can do beds and concrete its the only way to fly if i have a cleanu i just edge it then shovel it, you can also clean up any straglers with your weedeater. i use a shindaiwa, it hasnt givin me any problems except when it fell off my trailer at 20 mph then i had to replace the plug and gas tank it stared right up after that<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
  9. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

Does a stick edger really have enough power to re-define the trim of the mulch beds? Cuz I would think that the wheel edger is more powerful than a stick edger, Is it?
  10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

yup, the wheeled edger is more powerful, but you can't get it around the bends and turns in beds like you can a stick edger. Less bulky equipment to carry around too! I think the wheeled edger is easier for doing sidewalks (when your doing a condo complex , etc. for the first time in the spring) but as far as doing a lawn here or there go with the stick edger.....bunch more good reasons above mine!! :)<br><p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti