1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Edgers???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by derbyd137, Mar 7, 2011.

1. derbyd137

derbyd137 LawnSite Member

Hi all.
    I'm am new to the business and I have a question pertaining edgers. I,ve been looking into lawn edging equipment and I'm leaning towards a Stihl stick type edger. As apposed to a small gas engine push type edger. As I said I am new to the business and have always used the push edger for my personal home use. I'm not sure about commercial use though. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Karl from http://www.straightlinelawn.com

2. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer walk behind edgers, mainly because the stick edgers have a hard time cutting the overgrown areas. Don't get me wrong, stick edgers are nice, but only if you plan on edging the properties each week. I've got a McLane, and it's not bad, I use it for maintenance as well as overgrown areas. Also depends on your budget and what you can spend

3. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a stihl stick edger and it does great. I only edge about every 3 to 4 weeks and i can basically run with it. Dont waste your time with a walk behind edger theres no point in getting something that is going to take more gas, space, and time. Just go with a stick edger and you wont regret it

4. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

My FS110 kombi edger lacks the power through edging properties that are done once every 10 years. The dedicated ones probably have more power.

5. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my McLane edger.

6. derbyd137

Ok, for now any suggestions on what models and brand name for each type of edger.

7. ncknaklawns

from NY

How often and what are you edging. If you do it every week I use a string trimmer and only use the metal blade occasionally not worth investing dollars. Use thin line and hold perpendiclar to the edge, eye protection a must.

8. derbyd137

Maybe every other week

9. derbyd137

Sidewalks and drives

10. ncknaklawns

from NY

I try to minimize time. I use the str=ring trimmer and with the 0.095 x line from HD it looks pretty good for most of my clients. For those "perfect lawns" if it was required to use a metal blade I would have my back-up kombi trimmer ready to go with the edger attachment. (also works as extended reach heger, trimmer, chain saw and others).
    A dedicated hand held might be good idea also. My trailer does'nt have room for a powerful walk behind, and I wouldn't buy one but if I already owned one and the trailer was bigger it would be in there for the few demanding never been done jobs.