Edgers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jul 10, 2003.

1. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I know that pretty much everyone (including myself) only uses a trimmer for edging their lawns/commercial properties, but I am finding that I need an edger for cleaning up jobs before I do them regularly when the lots are neglected for a while.

Anyway, I already have this old Ryobi trimmer that is attachment compatable and I was wondering if I got a edger attachment if that would be powerful enough for edging places that have grass growing over the curb and have dirty filling up the space where the rut should be.

Or should I try to buy one of the old really powerful/bulky edgers? I won't need this unit very often at all, perhaps once a week or less. I just don't want to spend much money, and ebay has a bunch of Ryobi attachments for about $30 or so. What do y'all think?

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

i dont think the Ryobi has much power to do anything.
    the big walk behind are great for straight sidewalks but not very good for curbing that curves around flower beds.

for $30 you could try it out and see if it works, since it will only be once a week.

but i would still recomend some better equip. than Ryobi:(

3. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Ryobi does have the power, I used to use them for clean-ups all the time...but the edger SUCKS...don't buy it...

4. TROTTMAN

Ryobi ain't bad for residential equipment, remember I'm just making use of what I have lol. I can just spend a few bucks to do it this way, otherwise spend a whole lot more.

Basically, I am looking for an easier way to edge overgrown grass around street curbs. I think no matter how lousy the edger is it will be better than a string trimmer. Hehe...

5. TROTTMAN

What do you mean by that? I don't really need a good one. My question is the edger attachment going to make it much easier to edge overgrown areas? I don't care about the quality or anything else about it. It will only be used several times a year to make edging neglected lawns easier and faster to do.

6. JDOG

JDOG LawnSite Member

we pull out the stick edger for every job, edging with a line trimmer is a rookie move.

7. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Only if you are a rookie.;)

8. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Big Kee's edger for clean up then kept them in shape with my stick edger Much Quicker than the kees

9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Large edger-or stick edger-It doesnt matter. Ihave them both they both stay home in the shop. They aren.t worth the trouble they slow you down. If anything they are the rookie move. If your good with a string trimmer you don't need them .

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Trottman, you don't KNOW squat. :)
    Nobody but homeowners use trimmers for edging. Metal bladed edgers give a cleaner, more defined, longer lasting true EDGE.
    A trimmer just cuts a line in the grass.

A 'stick edger' will work in all but very severe cases very well, especially if you've trained yourself with a trimmer.