Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tender, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Turf Tender

Turf Tender LawnSite Member

As I am in the market for an edger, I see there is no shortage of them available. I see that some of these stick edgers have a curved shaft as opposed to the straight shaft. Any comments appreciated guys:) Also, any brand name better that others? Any I should stay away from?
  2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i have a echo power unit with a edger and trimmer attachment i like it it seems to blast through almost anything i did have the carb go bad the first month but the dealer fixed it under warrenty i have never really tried any others
  3. Ron Greenwood Jr

Ron Greenwood Jr LawnSite Member
    from IL

Dont buy the cheaper units they are way under powered I have two sthl's I would like to sell.
  4. Little wonder x-tra, it was the best $450.00 i ever spent.

Steve :drinkup:
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Little Wonder X-tra - great machine for maintaining and cutting an edge on concrete, if you are working blacktop I find holding a straight line difficult and end up staking and running a line. Great machine starts easy, good power and light weight.
  6. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

If your really unhappy with them I'll buy them from you cheap.
  7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I have Shindaiwa 260 and 261 stick edgers. Both are great. Like the 260 a bit better. Straight shaft, loads of power, cranks easily, nothing runs like a Shindaiwa.

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I run husqvarna edgers and i swear you can about cut a tree down with it. Lots of power.
  9. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Stay away from the Echo stick edger, model pe260, Hate the bugger. Takes four to five pulls to start each time and takes a good two minutes to warm up. Even after using.
  10. Frankee

Frankee LawnSite Member

In your part of the country edging is done only a few times a year. Each time it is done you are trenching the dirt out. This requires alot of power, more than most stick edgers have.

Buy a 3 wheeled edger (little wonder or equivalent), the only stick edger with near enough power for your area would be the Echo PE-310 if you must have a stick edger.