1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Apr 18, 2004.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

How many HP power edger do you pro's think is necessary to get the job done? Any thoughts on what brand or specific model to buy, im looking for something that is reasonably priced also. Thanks
  2. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

We use Stihl stick edgers, Edge every week, and you can do it as fast as you can walk. Gives a better look than a string trimmer. Any time I get a new location that has not been edged in a while, we cut it back a little each week....Chuck
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If you are talking about a walkbehind edger, three horse is enough, I like Power Trim, Mclane is serviceble also. Get a iron sleeved engine [I/C] if you can afford it.
  4. sailinstud420

Thanks for the reply, any other opinions out there??
  5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We use a Mclane 3 horse power also.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use a craftsman 3.5 hp walk behind seems to be ok
  7. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

You can't go wrong with a Power Trim edger with a Honda engine, a little pricey but well worth the investment, you'll get many years of service out of it.
  8. sailinstud420

I am looking to get a stick edger, non of that walkbehind business. I can get a commericial duty husqvarna for 300.00 which is a litttle more than I would like to spend. I am going to check into some of the echo stuff and maybe some stihl equipment. Know of anywhere online that I can look just to compare prices and what not?
  9. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Like lawnmedic said STIHL is the way to go FC85
  10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Husky 3.5 HP w/b edger, Its bad,bad,bad. I keep threating to replace it but I only use it a few times a year, and keep cussing myself when I do use it.