1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MightyMc12, Jul 14, 2004.

1. MightyMc12

MightyMc12 LawnSite Member

What edger to buy? I mow 35 lawns I have been using an antique lawn boy edger I now have some money and am curious as to what I should buy. I probably only want to spend between 200-300 dollars unless that is a mistake? What brand and which make would you suggest?
  2. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

I tried the Stihl 110 4-mix and it's an awesome edger. Most def. a high end edger ($400) and I think I am going with Honda.

Another choice would be Redmax. I looked at their edgers and are very nice. Two dealers didn't have a demo of the straight shaft, the one I'm interested in.. so I can't tell you anything further about that.

Hope this helps.

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

McLane 3.5 hp walkbehind. It has good power and is fast.
  4. Paul Corsetti

Paul Corsetti LawnSite Member

stilh 375$ 2yr warrenty, light duty for 35 lawns split shaft stihl you can add string trimmer had,pole saw,edger,hedge trimmer power head is adout 175,edger att is 100 multi use.i know a guy who has over 40 lawns and bought 2 split shaft power heads and the 4 att i stated and has used them for over a year and a half with no down time on them
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Ad an edgit to your straight shaft trimmer and you won'tneed an edger. Keep your old one to cut the edge at new accounts and maintain them with the edgit from then on.

6. MightyMc12

MightyMc12 LawnSite Member

has any one used the edgeit and how much does it cost
  7. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I also have the Stihl Kombi system (FS85) and love it. After the initial edge job, it's pretty well as fast as you can walk. I have all of the attachments, it helps keep from buying several engines.
  8. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto regarding Stihl stick edgers.I have a John Deere and a Stihl;rarely use the JD because the Stihl has more power(rarely have to slow down,even if edging's badly overgrown) and it's much easier to create a nice,sharp edge.The JD is not bad but just doesn't compare to the Stihl.
  9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Use it love it, I will never have a trimmer without one. search this site for everyones comments o the edgit. Go to the edgit website for prices and fit info.
  10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Get a Stihl. The 4 mix equipment is awesome. The FC-75 2 stroke edger is also an excellent tool. Either way you can't beat Stihl. JMO.