Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by splatz100, Jan 8, 2005.

1. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Now I had an idea, you really only edge with the edger first time right(or at least some people)? And then every other time you come back with the weedeater. So what if you bought one of those cheaper edgers from Home Depot, now I know that true hard core commercial people will say no. But for those residential cutters would it be a good idea? If not shoot me and I will go save some more money for a commercial edger.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Why go to Home Depot, you can generally find them in the newspaper everyday of the week for under 70 bucks. When I bought my dad his I paid 40 and all it needed was a spark plug.
  3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

yea I have been looking in the newspaper and some local ads but found nothing
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Try some yard sales too. My friend got a nice self propelled JD 21 that his wife found one day when she was looking for stuff for herself. He's also bought some golf clubs and mechanics tools that way. He used to complain about her going to yard sales until she found the mower and now he's out there with her. LOL.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have a big 3.5 HP edger on wheels that I got at Lowes. We only use it one time at a house to cut the edge the first time. after that we use the stick edger each week.
    First about the edger--We needed to get one fast and my dealer did not have anything on the floor. We were 1/2 mile from Lowes so we just got what they had. After about 10 jobs the thing is junk. Had to spend 2 hours tighting or replaceing bolts and rebuilding the adj. wheel system. The unit will not be maintained any more just used till death.
    As far as concept goes, the reason we bought it is still valid. We will replace it with a pro model because it is a great tool to have. On any new customer that has not had edging done it will cut the dirt/sod much faster than a stick edger. Once we get the edge made we always edge with the stick edger. I feel that it leaves a much finer edge (compared to a string trimmer). Most customers will not know the difference but at least a few have said that the edging is great. And I am much happier that it looks better.
    Some on this site will say not to use 2 tools to do the job and that point is valid but I will continual to keep them on the trucks.
    But the way the big one does not ride on the maintenance trucks. Most new customers we do will have a overall clean up to start so we send the landscape trailer which is fully stocked to do almost anything (including the first edge). After that the maintence crews will do it. Hope this helps and if you have the time to shop go to a pro shop and get a real tool.
  6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

If you want a good Edger,buy a Mclane!Go to their web site .www.Mclaneedgers.com.........they ship and you can buy on line cheaper than at the dealer! A good machine and worth the x-tra it cost over the EL-CHEAP'S..........get;s the job done quick and right
  7. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Spend the extra dough and get yourself a reliable commercial edger. My preference is the Stihl FC110. I hear what the other guys are saying about the edgers on wheels but this FC110 has monster power. It even works well on new edges. You will be very disappointed if you buy a sub-standard piece of equipment. Just my .02
  8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. I use a ROYOBI stick edger from home depot 1996. It is the only non -commercial piece I use. WHy? because it still runs. I use it once a month on my lawns. I have replaced the edger section $70 because the cable broke and would cost almost 1/2 as much for the part as a new one. The motor section of the two piece unit is a 30 cc beast with great torque. I have used it to edge gardens , till small areas, and cut a ditch for a piece of cable. If you keep the rpm up you won't twist off the cable drive. I learned that the hard way. I considered a $300 + shindiawa stick edger but My rule is to look at profit margin on equipment and not "I want a new toy" factor.
  9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Check with Wriken, He did have one for sale on here!!!!
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

lawncare4you---The Mclane is the one we have had a lot of intrest in to replace the junk. I believe little wonder has one too but not sure on quality.