Edging 2 miles of sidewalk.............

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mjstef, Aug 4, 2014.

1. mjstef

mjstef LawnSite Member

Had an HOA contact me last week wanting a price on edging 1.5 miles of sidewalk. I looked at it and it's not horrible. Worst area is about 3" overgrown. Subdivision is 8 years old. I have never had a request for this much edging and i'm trying to come up with a rate to give them. All "debris" will be left on site on a low lot that they are filling. Anyone done an edge job this big?

2. trock

trock LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a walker Mower? If so you can install the edging blade attachment and make it very easy.

3. mjstef

mjstef LawnSite Member

I run Grasshopper. Ground is pretty hard here in the west with rocks ect...........

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A little math......how fast can you edge divided in 8000ft?

5. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I do a road that has 1/2 mile with curb & sidewalk on both sides. Use a walk behind edger for sidewalks and string trimmer for curbs. Clean up with a rotary broom. It removes the grass the edgers never seem to get. With the mowing (about 20' each side of road) it takes about 5 hours total.

6. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

The longest I've done is ~1/2 mile. I figured mine by the hour plus $15 to cover blades. It's surprising how fast blades wear out, over such distances.

I have a Gravely WB (986102) with Subaru power. It's not the most robust machine, but, it works great for a solo operator. The adjustable curb wheel is a nice addition.

7. A_Morris

A_Morris LawnSite Member

8. mjstef

mjstef LawnSite Member

9. ScottHypsie

ScottHypsie LawnSite Member

That is a hell of allot of steps to edge. Why not use the trimmer and blower?

10. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

tell them 1500 to do it...should cover any expenses and you should make some money on that deal, but realistically i don't know your market, but i'd bet most places you won't get that much to edge 1.5 miles you could do it for 500 dollars but after you pay a guy to help you so you can get it done in a reasonable time, the deduct all the expenses, don't forget 25-30% for income taxes and your profit is very very small now....