1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Edging a lawn perfectly.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ranger56, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Ranger56

Ranger56 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I’ll keep my question straight and simple.

How would I go about edging a lawn that hasn’t been edged in a couple of months? Any tips or tricks would be great.
  2. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

With a stick edger and new blade. Probably have to make a few passes. Clean edged off grass. Not much else I know to tell you.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Gonna take a few passes with a walk behind or stick edger and maybe a couple of weeks or it to look really good and sharp
  4. Mike's Yard Services

Mike's Yard Services LawnSite Member

In my opinion.........especially since I don't use a stick edger, my 3 wheel McLane does an awesome job.....especially on real heavy stuff.......wheelbarrow nearby for rolling up those nasty sod snakes and sweep or blow.........voila...........really shows the edge and the yard is like a new place, most owners don't even know the edge of the sidewalks and drive even exist until you show them. Be sure to set up once a month or at most every 8 weeks to maintain that sharp look.
  5. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

I use a helper to walk behind me with the blower blowing the area I am edging...it really works great, the blower picks the snakes right off the sidewalk as I make them, and very seldom do I need to go back and get a spot again. Then I just make 1 pass on each side of the sidewalk with the bagger on, really saved us a ton of hours this year...average time to edge...15 minutes for 2 of us. I had one last year that took me 2 hours to edge and clean up...and I did it for free...no more.
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Take one very powerful edger ( walk behinds have the clear advantage here ), add a flat shovel, and a powerful blower. Combine ingredients in that order, and if it was overgrown enough to become sod ( usually happens when it gets more than 6" overgrown here ) You may even want to finish off with a desert of Garden hose to clean the dirt stains from the concrete.. :D

BTW, the star blades are a real help on a job like this.