Edging and a pick-axe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Thanks to the person who mentioned using the wide end of a pick-axe to shear the scrap off the perimeter of a newly edged bed. (using a stick edger) It works very nicely. I just purchased the edger and after one day of fighting with the sods I was fed up. The narrow end work perfect for cleaning out the scrap from walkway edges too. Lawn site is the best!

full logo.jpg

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

wish I would have known that two days ago. Had a blast doing some new edging...NOT.

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought the split shaft Stihl edger and had never edged before today. I thought it was VERY easy, Plenty of power, and none of the drives had EVER been edged before. I didnt mind my stick edger.

4. Canadian GreenScape

Just wanted to clarify that I did use my Echo edger to make the cut along the bed perimeter then used the pick-axe to shear off the scrap sod. Pulling or swinging it paralell with the cut. Does anyone use a different method? Pick-axe is a bit heavy..

5. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

I have always used a flat spade. Shear off the sod inside the edge and then use the stick edger to clean up the edge. Time consuming, but not as hard on the arms as swinging the pick axe.

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Yes...........

7. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

One day I'll get me a bed edger.

8. Canadian GreenScape

One step at a time I guess :D

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I want a bed edger but after checking the prices i quess i will continue to rent one or keep the shovel handy

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Use a light Polaski, not the heavy model, but it still will make a man out of you.