Edging and Trimming ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by firecapt13, May 3, 2005.

1. firecapt13

firecapt13 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I am looking at getting into the business. My question is what is the best way to learn edging and trimming techniques. I hate doing this part of my on lawn. I have been in the pressure washing business for 8 years now and looking at buying a lco from a friend. Any other secrets to the business would be helpful.

Lawrence Carter

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Trimming and edging...well practice makes perfect.

As far as tips. Experiment with different angles of the head.
    Make sure you get a decent pair of goggles or safety glasses.
    Have some extra parts on hand for the trimmer head. I could save you some valuable time when you're in the middle of a job and the head flys apart or a piece gets lost.
    Spare plugs always a must.
    Always check fasteners real quick before start up, make sure they are tight.

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

4. jackflash

jackflash LawnSite Member

it's a big part of the business. why get into something that you hate?? there are plenty of other things to do!

5. mowboy1

mowboy1 LawnSite Member

Yeah but once you get the hang of it you'll love it!

Practice, practice, practice. Is there anyone who could show you the ropes? Otherwise, it's trial and error. (I've never tried the edgit thing mentioned above).

Good luck with it!

6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

4 months ago I was in your shoes. I hated to trim because i felt it took me forever. I would look at my employee and he would look so smooth. He was fast and good having more than 35 years of experience. However he is no longer with me and I'm it. I have improved 1000% and now it is actually fun to do. Practice, Practice Practice if you want to stand out from the crowd, edging and trimming is the way. Embrace it! Have a passion for it! Love It! but more importantly "Just Do It!"

Best of Luck