edging as a lone service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sharpcut, Feb 10, 2003.

1. sharpcut

sharpcut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i wanted to see what you guys thought about this idea i had ...i did a quick search on here and didn't see anything that fit what i was looking for.....i was thinking about offering edging as a service all alone...i would edge drive and walkways weekly or every other week to add to my profit...i have the equipment to do it ,i would just need the accounts,i wanted to try to find something to offer to those who enjoy working in their own lawns.could this be a profitable venture or waste of time ,,,and how would i go about charging for this ..since these will be people i do not mow for on a weekly basis???
    thanks guys

2. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

Unless the Edging "only" stop is next door or very close , I would think it would be less profitable. I can't see making a stop for $10 or $15 bucks ...if this is what we are talking about. Any customer who enjoys mowing Probably takes pride in the finished job ,including trim & edge. In Years past , I've had a few cheapo's who couldn't get their trimmer running or didnt like to edge ask about it , but I can't see it leading to much. You might find some willing to pay for it , however to spend too much on marketing and billing for $10 every other week(and that's what THEY will want or LESS!), your efforts could be probably placed better. JMHO

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I have though of something like this also. I have a couple customers who mow their own but had me Edge there walks last fall. Each got there walks widened by about a foot. It was a long job with blade edger and cost them about $100. I though about offering to come and edge and trim their property about once a month with my trimmer and EDGIT attachment. I could cut through a months growth with the string just not a whole seasons. The clean look would last a couple weeks and I could charge pretty well because I would take more time than a weekly trim and edge I do when mowing. They are both corner lots with a lot of walks and they don't trim or blow when they mow but they sure liked the way it looked after I got done edging them . I will talk to them about is and let you know how it works out.

4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

We do one place like that. We mulched some beds for them and they told some friends about us. We wound up doing their friend's landscape for a new house they built. Then the people we mulched for asked us if we would come out do some trimming and edging on a bi-weekly basis so we said yes. We are there for about 15 minutes and charge them $20. And they are on the way to some of our other accounts so its not that big of a deal for us. Now if you had about 20 of these all in one area it would be great! If you do it right and use you're noggin it can be profitable in the right situations.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

in the past we have had only a couple of requests for edging only. one was a neighbor of a client, told him $35 first time, $7 every other week thereafter. too much he said. another caller wanted just edging, every "couple of weeks". told him i would need a minimum stop fee of $25 a visit. too much. i dont think many will take this service at what u need to charge. they only think its worth $2-$3. good luck

6. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a thought. Edging could get your foot in the door and lead to other 'extras'. As mentioned before, I wouldn't make a special trip just to edge. Keep your route as tight as possible.

7. sharpcut

sharpcut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

thanks guys the info is coming in handy.....this was just something i was thinking of doing for 10-15 dollars a stop ,i figured i would be in and out within 10 minutes or so and i have the tools for the job. i got the idea last season when as driving through my route i saw a few elderly persons trying to edge their drives with an electric edger ..........thats got to be a pain,and thought maybe these people would pay for a selected service,

8. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

Never thought of edging only but I do have a couple of trim and edge only customers. These can be very profitable if they are big enough, I get $125.00/visit at one and $60.00/visit at the other. But if your talking about city lots I don't think I would bother.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Not worth it! I have a couple of places I do, they are right next door to existing customers. I maybe do them 3-4 times a season. What's the most you can charge them $15.?? As far as offering a service to just edge it's not worht it. Make some extra cash while your at a stope already? ... Sure why not!

10. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Edging is done every week at every account, it is included in the price that I give. Around here if you do not edge they will find someone else who will.