edging beds/planting ideas for new beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cntryboymc, Jun 6, 2004.

1. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

i was just wondering if there is anything wrong with the way i edge beds.i go around the bed with my stihl stick edger then use a shovel to scoop up the sod.also i was estimating a job today to remove evergreen shrubs in front of a house and then install new beds.the customer had no ideas about what he wanted.he said its up to me.any thoughts?

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Use what ever method works best for you. You have to get the job done, it has to look right,it has to be fast enough to make profit. If your way fits all this, than no it is not wrong.
    Be very careful on picking shrubs for the customer. You do not want to hear "That is exactlly what I did not want". Try to get some pictures of shrubs or look at other houses and have him pick. Give 2-3 options and tell him the + or - of each.

I take the edgeing question to be about creating a new edge, not maintenance, right? For weekly maintenance I just use the string trimmer.

3. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

hey pmlawn-do you do any mowing for nascar people?

4. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Charge them for taking the time to look.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I use my buddies bed master. It works great for making edges for beds. Way faster than a shovel. Plus it looks better. He lets me borrow it, because its usally broken. (his guys are rough on equipment) I don't mine fixing it. Not really costing me anything but sometime. Later this year I plan on buying one. Well worth the $2150.

6. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

Go by the local nursery and talk to the manager. Tell him that you are about to purchase some shrubs to install and you need a few different varieties to give the customer some choices. Obviously you will bring all the shrubs back and purchase the ones decided on from them.

There's one here that lets you do that and if you take pictures of the house and yard he'll design beds for free. FREE I said.

7. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I bought this one this spring. It's the EZ Trench. Does a nice job creating new edges and makes our work look much more professional.

bededger.jpg