1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Edging Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Apr 2, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

I am not sure if I want to buy a stick edger of one of those fancy disk thingeys that attach to trimmers. I can see that the stick edger might have the advantage for first time edging because of the actual blade. But which one is better for the actual every week maintenance edging? (not the initial edging) Does the blade still cut the grass pretty good even when it is just grass, not a whole lot of sod? The disc will cost about $70 whereas the stick edger would be from $250 up but money isn't really the matter. I just want the equipment that will do the best job. What is your advice?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

id buy the stick edger. you cant use the disc when making new beds, or in thick lawns that need edging.

[Edited by mdb landscaping on 04-02-2001 at 08:46 PM]
  3. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

stick edger fo sho! i don't know what i would do without mine!
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Send me $50 and I'll give you the Edgit attachment! It only has about 18 min of use. I didn't like the idea of trimming with it on and not having something to cut the length of the line. It has a little grass stain on it (I would even clean it up!) but like I said, 18 minutes! Sorry if this isn't allowed on Lawnsite, but it seems related to the post.

5. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

Thank you guys for your replies. I guess the stick edger is favored. What kind has the most bang for my buck?
  6. cincimowerman

cincimowerman LawnSite Member

I bought an edgit last year and love it. I don't think that using it for 18 minutes is a true test. It takes a little getting use to, because you have to pull it behind you. A stick edger would be great for cutting a groove in areas that haven't been trimmed. Once the groove in there stand clear, most of the time I can trim with edgit almost as fast as I can walk. I like not having to go back and forth with different tools. When I finish trimming with the edgit the areas look like I used a stick edger. I wish I had bought an edgit years ago.
  7. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

shindaiwa stick here, but i am sure that plenty of other brands will suffice.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The new Stihl FC85 is the way to go! Shaft drive with a lifetime warranty. Awesome power and torque to boot. Price is right too.