Edging Flower Beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mr.rightlandscaping, Sep 15, 2009.

1. mr.rightlandscaping

mr.rightlandscaping LawnSite Member

Hi all of you out there. I just wanted some input or some advise. I do a lot of flower bed edging and lately my edging has not been looking real professional. I'm not sure what the problem is. The method I'm using is I use a water hose to outline the edge and take my half moon and go about 3 to 4 inches into the ground and then from inside the flower bed I move in 3 inches and dig at a 45 deg angle toward the outside of the bed. Am I doing something wrong? Should I start using a stick edger or rent a bed edger. I also thought about trying the Baxter perfect edge I stumbled across on the internet at http://www.baxtersperfectedge.com
  2. pinecrestwoods

pinecrestwoods LawnSite Member

Well..... what looks bad about yours. The technique sounds like you should be fine. Post a pic.

The link you provide is for another look altogether from what I could see.
  3. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: :waving:
  4. pinecrestwoods

pinecrestwoods LawnSite Member

Terrapro.... whatchoo talkin' bout?
  5. Exmark Guy

Exmark Guy LawnSite Member

I cant really help you on the look, but i have a suggestion about using the hose thing, as it didnt work for me. What i use is a chalk box, or some thin rope and tie it tight to 2 screwdrives and push them into the ground. I think its easier and you dont need to wory about moving the hose by accident. Oh, and for trees and if you need to make a circle, place a mark on the rope for the distance of the cirle you want, tie it to the tree, and just walk around it while sprinkiling down some flour so you have a percise mark to dig aloong. when your done edging, you can hose the flour or blow it in the dirt, NOT THE NEW MULCH if you laid mulch. Help this could help you shread some time on your edging, evern if it wasent your actual question.
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Once I determine my lines, I drag my edger backwards through the sod to make my initial cut. Then it's time to bust out the shovel...
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This perfect edge system is not only totally unnecessary, but would be a complete waste of alot of valuable time, as well. The same thing can be accomplished with the half moon edgers, a flat spade, or better yet, a power edger or bed edger. The layout and design is only a small part of the edging job. The trenching is the majority of it. All this work just to lay out a line....please....
    I wouldn't waste my money on this stuff even if it DID look like it had any valuable looking designs. Stick to the hose and spade method, and just practice a little bit. There is no reason why this can't be done like it always has.
  8. mr.rightlandscaping

Posted via Mobile Device
  9. mr.rightlandscaping

i was wondering if any of u had any pic u can post of using the methods u have described or a brief clip
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

I still don't understand what the hose is for, do you leave it on the ground and use it as a guide to cut along or what? I thougt you just cut at the edge of the grass.