Edging flower beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by blk90s13, Jun 12, 2011.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you use for lets say 6 ft circle diameter shrub beds ? I have almost 30 to do and was thinking its its too much to do by my self and a spade ?

I never used a bed edger before

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If they are already established beds then a bed-edger is going to be ideal.

If they are new beds in the sod, then you'll be better off just using a shovel to get rid of the sod and cut the edge.

3. blk90s13

beds are there I am re edging everything does a bed edger swivel ? I thought it can only do a straight line ?

I need to go in circles pretty much

4. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

you can go in circles with a bed edger, the blade is curved

5. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I would break down and buy a bed edger. Echo makes a really nice stick bed edger that works very well.

I see this as an easy potential upsell for clients in the future. Not many guys offer this or carry this tool around on a daily basis. We also know the neglected beds tend to look like crap after a few years.

I have had my beds at my house for 5 years. (house was built 5 years ago)
    I spend time to edge, roundup, shovel, etc. and they could use a good edging from a dedicated machine

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you need the Echo bed redefiner. $600 usually. Works like a charm on an existing bed.

7. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have a lot of this (above) on one of my properties.

Will the Echo work on these? I have no experience with the Echo OR the dedicated bed edger (ex - Brown). But, the Echo "seems" ill-equipped for re-establishing a very clean edge on neglected beds.

Am I wrong?

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I once acquired a new mowing customer where the customer kept the old company to do the bush trimming and bed mulching and maintenance for the first two years. They did not cut a new edge in the bed, which was a few hundred feet long, on the second year that I mowed there. On the third year there, I took over all of the lawn and landscape work. The bed had not been edged in two years by the old company. I got it looking great in about 15 minutes or less using the Echo.

9. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

15 minutes or less for hundreds of feet?

How many hundreds?

Got any photos?

10. blk90s13

I would love to buy one but that will leave me with $50 in my pocket from that job and I dont get much edging jobs just yet to justify buying one.

Its on my things to buy now :D

Will try to see if someone rents it out around me