1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

edging for mulch beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jeff_0, Apr 8, 2004.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

What do you use a shovel or a bed edger. I see some places where it look beautiful and i wounder what they used. I never can see what others are using. I always just drive by when it's done
  2. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

I have always just used a flat spade, and I'm pretty picky about what my natural edges look like. It takes a while, but I've always been satisfied with the end result.
  3. Steady Mowing

Steady Mowing LawnSite Member

If you are mantaining an edge, I prefer a shovel rather than an edger. Edgers create lots of loose soil that has to be raked around or removed. Edgers are great if there is no existing edge, and leave a nice flow, but require a good bit of hand work after you edge to get a smooth, natural look. In most cased I don't think an edger saves a huge amount of time but will definitely with some effort, give the best final product.
  4. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Small beds ? 10-20 feet in dia. We use spade and flat tip tools. Like some we have that are 500+ feet total...... Bed edger !!!! also, it gives a nice clean edge.
  5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

6. culand

culand LawnSite Member

I use a Edger Hoe>> it has a flat wide head and can be turn sideways to cut deep and make a smooth cut along the bed , this tool is faster then a spade and less dirt movement. Good for small and medium beds <> larger I use my bed former> I made these tools<> Bed Former is B&S 6hp with blades adjustments to form edging.

the one to call for landscapeing
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Bededger for new beds and existing beds, i will never use a spade ever again.
  8. pbr1893

pbr1893 LawnSite Member

a spade is the best way but it takes some more time...also in order to keep it looking clean and crisp, i like to use a hand held bed trimmer. its made by sandvik and it looks like a giant pair of scissors on long handles. it may take longer than weedeating but for that personal homeowner touch...it cant be beat!
  9. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the bed edger on new beds and keep them looking good throughout the year with the trimmer. If it needs it the following year I will use the bed edger again but it will be $1.00/foot. I don't have the time to use the shovel or anything else and they don't have the money either!
  10. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

anybody use a trenching shovel?