edging grass raised up from concrete

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zackvbra, Apr 20, 2013.

1. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

I have never ran into a situation like this, but I was edging a new yard this week, and the sod was raised really high above the curb. I put a new blade on, to break in the edge, but this was some really thick stuff. I couldn't even get to find the edge of the curb! it had to be at least 4 or 5 inches above the curb. I couldn't even get the blade down into to the curb.

What do you guys do in these situations?

2. kyia

kyia LawnSite Member

Spade or flat shovel

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

this is a pain and takes a long time to get it into shape. if you have access to a walkbehind edger it will work better. you can do it with a stick edger though. when i run into this i just edge it as good as i can working the edger back and forth as i go and then come back with the trimmer and cut it away as good as i can. it may take several edgings before you get it perfect.

don't try to get it perfect the first time or you'll be there all day working yourself to death. just get most of it the first time and gradually work with it over the next few mowings to get it perfect.

spade or shovel works but is very time consuming as well.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I've had a few like that and you almost can't edge them because the soil will just fall back down onto the sidewalk. If you customer is willing to pay you can remove the sod back a couple of feet and then regrade it.

5. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who just resodded and I can't even get the blade to touch. And that is a walk behind edger. I just use my line trimmer.

6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

This is going to be your best advise. Don't try to get it all in one trip. Let the customer know you'll work on each week to get it back where it needs to be.

7. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Edge it with a trimmer.

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe I'm missing something, but even if you do manage to edge the curb, how do you keep the soil from just falling back down onto the walk? A 4 or 5 inch vertical edge is anything but stable and would look downright weird in my opinion.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Wow someone sodded that lawn high in the sky

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i've seen all kinds. some where the grass is 4" below the sidewalk and others where it's 4" higher than the sidewalk. alot have vairations all the way down the sidewalk. grass too low in some spots and too high in others and level in other areas. it's a rare thing to find a perfect situation where the grass and sidewalk are level the entire length of the sidewalk.