"Edging Is For The Birds"

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Daner, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

My goodness edging beds is a tough job...sure Its easy to cut the sod...but tearing out the bits and pieces....There's got to be a better way
    Ifind making double cuts makes it a bit easier
    Any Ideas on how to make edging go quicker and less labor??

2. Rayray

Rayray LawnSite Member

Cut through the sod with your edger.....then go back and blow the bits and pieces away with your Redmax ebz8000,,easy as pie......

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

omg...a man with a brain. this is a huge profit maker for us, but, we do it a tad different= run the edger deep, scrape extra pieces back with the hoe (no, not my wife, it's a hand tool) blow the edges clean w/blower, proceed. i can get up to like $250 for this service, and it may only take an hour

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

use a bed edger....

5. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I never thought of the blower ...Great...I,m gona try that tody:)

6. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

we second the bed edger machine, too.

7. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Bed Shapers rock....just got mine yesterday no more hand edging for me.

8. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to do beds get the right equipment for the job. The Edge R Rite from Turfco ( Turfco.com ) is designed to cut bed edges. It cuts like a sod cutter back and forth has 5 blades for 5 kinds of edges and will go up to 4 inches deep. You cut down and across so it cuts the roots too. You cut the stuff off and pick it up...you can do beds in minutes.

9. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a bed edger, We bededge up to 50 feet per minute in soil and 10-15 fett per minute in clay with a Brown 991H, and get $1.00 per foot. And the new Billy goat 4 wheel sod cutter is the cats A## if you need a small sod cutter. We are doing 200 sq foot landscapes in 60 -90 minutes bed edged sod cut 1.5 yards of compost, 1.5 yards of mulch, 20 plants shrubs perenials and a small tree. Hate to think of how long without the sodcutter and bed edger.

10. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a quality walk behind edger, then the pieces that are stuck you can get with the redmax line trimmer