edging ...is it proffitable? How much ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tomoaktree, Mar 13, 2001.

1. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Hello
    Thinking about offering edging this year. I haven't had a lot of inquires about it but I think I can talk some people into it.Just wondering how much to charge and how to set it up in a contract. Any suggestions? Should I send out a flyer with my next invoice?
    Also what is the best equipment to have.
    Do you charge by square foot?
    Thanks for any feedback. I love to buy new equipment but want to make sure it's worth while.
    Tom

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You do not edge with your basic service??????

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I may be an oddball but I include edging in my basic service. The way I look at it, the yard is not done until you edge it. Just my own personal opinion.

4. tomoaktree

from WNY

I haven't been edging . I haven't seen too many other outfits doing it either. I always use a line trimmer on all the walks , drives etc.
    Tom

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Does it sound like he edges with his basic service.
    Some want it some dont .

6. LoneStarLawn

Are you using your line trimmer to produce an edge? If so that is still edging...A stick edger or a walk behind edger will produce a better edge, but it doesn't need that kind of edge all the time...(a line trimmer can touch it up each time)that is still included into basic services.

7. tomoaktree

from WNY

I would like to edge but I'm not sure how much people would be willing to pay. The initial edging would be the most work. Do you guyss edge every week?
    Tom

8. LoneStarLawn

The intial edging is the hardest and we use an edger for that...that price is included into the first service fee (which is more intially because it is usually higher maintenance) otherwise when we provide our service we use our line trimmers to touch up the edge...that is included in the basic service. We would never provide a basic service without edging...it makes the finished product.

9. tomoaktree

from WNY

Lone Star,
    I agree that without a nice edge , the job doesnt look good.That is what I would like to bring to the attention of my customers. How do you figure the cost of initial edge?
    Will a stickeder work or do do you need something bigger?
    Tom

10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We will use a walk behind edger at the beginning of the season when we perform the intial mowing during Spring Clean-Up.

After that the first cutting of the month is done with a stick edger and then refreshed throughout the rest of the month with line trimmers.

We charge $.75/100 linear feet or $45/hr.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris