1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Jun 13, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

One of my commercial accounts has steel edging that was installed when the place was built. This past winter we removed all the rocks from the beds and installed sod-----------trying to remove any trip hazards. When the sod was installed it was above the edging. I had asked the manager if he wanted to remove the edging before laying the grass but he said no...............OK with me! Since the grass has been put in the customers have beat it down so bad that the edging now sticks above it about a 1/2".................guess what happened..................your right...............old lady trips over exposed edging and now their in a lawsuit over it.

I don't know if they could drag me into it or not, probably can somehow, but the point I'm trying to get across is there are potential lawsuits all over the place. If you see these hazards you might want to inform the managers and try to correct them before something like this happens. If nothing else be sure you document the fact that you brought it to somebody's attention, date it and list the name of the person you spoke with. Cover your azz as much as possible, one little lawsuit to a corporation is a business buster to most of us. I'm sure they will pay the lady something and the lawyer will get his half and it will all go away until something else comes up. The sidewalk was about 2 feet away but I suppose it was easier to walk on the grass!

Be careful out there..............it's a jungle!
  2. crs

crs LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about this incident. I sincerely hope everything turns out OK for you.

Everyone should head your warning about documentaion. I have a policy to notify property owners/managers in writing and requesting that they respond in writing so I can keep a copy in the CYA file. This has worked well for me so far.

Good luck!:eek:
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Good policy!