edging on softball/baseball diamonds...

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by fostertussin26, Sep 15, 2009.

1. fostertussin26

fostertussin26 LawnSite Member

guys, i take care of 4 diamonds, 2 softball and 2 baseball. i need a better way to keep the edges straight where grass meets infield dirt and where grass meets warning track. the way we do it now is rediculous and the tools are like ancient amish tools. just wondering what u guys did for this.

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a stick edger, stake and strings, a steel clothesline to cut the radius cuts, and a broken sod knife I had a heavy pipe welded onto. I do not often use an infield rake but instead use a steel rake and a leaf rake. I get better resutls.

Here is thread with a basepath from this season. I will dig up some photos of the radius cuts.

What do you use, exactly?

3. jmoore16135

jmoore16135 LawnSite Member

We use a gas powered edger and a string line as a guide. Removing the material with a Hula Hoe.
    Works out very well.

As for an arc, I mark it out with marking paint then use a sod cutter or edger depending on how much grass I am removing.

4. LilesLawn

LilesLawn LawnSite Member

Hula Hoe works great without pulling too much. Clean up with a leaf rake and maintain with a weedeater.

5. fostertussin26

fostertussin26 LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice guys, i want to try and find something mechanical if it even exists but i may be on a wild goose chase so i guess we'll see what happens.