Edging prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

How much do some of you guys charge per liner foot for first time edging? Hardly anyone in my area edges and I want to make an effort to edge all properties next year. Once the edge is in, I will maintain with trimmer.

I'm looking for prices from you guys that charge $60/hr, and get $30-$35 for 7-10K lots. I'm thinking once I charge for the initial edge then I can maintain it with out raising maintenance price.

In 13 years I have never put a new edge in (just not common here) so I need to have a base price to start with and once I do a few I will be able to adjust price to my liking.

My plan is to cut the edge and take a shovel and pitch the dirt up in the lawn before I cut. I would think doubles should take care of the dirt just fine.
  2. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

In our area I've heard that a charge of .50 per foot is a norm rate!However it would depend on # of feet at job site if you could make money at this rate.It looks like you may have to charge a service call on smaller jobs,but would be ok at .50 on average to larger jobs! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :waving:
  3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

1/4 acre lot , sidewalk, driveway, front walk driveway to door $20 edge and blow off only if I'm right there doing one of my regulars
    edging a raggedy lawn is hard on the stick edger so if it is really bad charge more.
    For a new customer I may charge $10 over the mowing price the first time or price the cutting fee higher and throw in the initial edging as a sales pitch to move them to a higher price. ie; $27 or $30 to a $35 price
    You could probably get a list of customer who cut their own lawn but will pay for you to edge several times a season. In that case I would charge $25 to $30 for the visit. Many people who cut their own lawns pay to have their leaves done as well as shrubs trimmed and mulching. Same goes for a vacation cut. It may lead to future work. I have had cases where the customer gives in and says " oh why don't you just cut the lawn too!"
    A great lawnsite member [Eric] once called this business "city farming". Goodwill in the neighborhoods where your targeting is like planting a money seed and growing future customers. You want to have your name in their heads when they finally give up doing it themselves.
  4. Soupy

I was figuring that the first edge would be closer to 75% of mowing price. I was thinking $20-$25 for the first edge and then no charge for maintaining the edge. I have learned in the past (when an edge was workable) that I can run the trimmer upside down and maintain the edge just as fast as the popular (in my area) angle edge. At this point I don't even own a edger, but plan on getting one (walk-behind) soon.

I like your idea of offering it as a one time service too. My main goal is to step quality up a notch in my area, and for another way to justify my higher rates. If people start calling me because they like the fact that I edge then of coerce they will pay a little higher price (supply and demand). But all and all I plan on giving estimates as usual and explaining the benefit of a one time Edge.
  5. Soupy

That sounds like a good rate. But most of my lawns are around 80-120 ft wide (not even considering corner lots) and have driveways around 25-30 ft long. Plus say another 20 ft of sidewalk, so I'm guessing a total of 125 - 170 on average. That would be $62.50 - $85. I really don't think I would get that. if it took me one 1-2 hours I could see charging that.

With the scenario above. How long would you guys say it would take to edge and shovel the dirt into the lawn to be dispersed by double blades. I'm thinking that if i can do it in 30 minutes then I could justify a $30 charge.

I'm not really concerned about making a lot of money on this one time service. I just want to be able to justify the time spent.
  6. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

.75 per linear foot. Save yourself some money and buy a stick edger instead of a walkbehind. I NEVER use my walkbehind edger.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the edging is the icing on the cake. a nicely trimmed and edged property is what sets yours apart from the others. i'll admit i "wing it" on this service. it's rare that i have to first time edge with a shovel pulling out 40 ft green snakes, but it does happen. i'll go anywhere from $30-$40 for a small piece, and up to $75 for a large one. i wouldn't maintain it with a wacker though. my man is so good with a wacker, he can clean all your teeth and never touch your lips and gums, but after time , edging with a wacker does leave a trench instead of an edge, and hot weather will turn the edges brown
  8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I rented a w/b edger for a commercial HOA I did years ago. POS not enough rpm to cut through thick turf. Stick edger is the way to go
  9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Bed edging can be VERY profitable...particularly if you rent a machine to do it.

I can give you a range of prices but unless I;m not reading your post right, these fees are way higher than yours.

Freshen exstising bed edges = never less than .40 per linear foot..machine used and pulverized soil brushed back into bed then mulched over

New bed edges, between .60 and 1.00 per linear foot. Brush back pulverized soil into beds and mulch over.

If you are going to kick in these edges by hand, you need to include in your price picking up and hauling away the clods of dirt (no small task on a larger property)

A bed edging machine is one tool I choose not to own as we rent it for at least 3 days at a time, multiple times in the spring and it pays for itself in the first hour its used.

Just a friendly piece of advice....don't give away this service. Most customers (at least mine) never gag when you tell them that it will a couple hundred dollars to create professional bed edges on their property. For those customers who have done this in the past themselves, they will gladly pay the fee as they know its no small job with a shovel/spade. Getting rid of the clods is actually the worst part and that is a nonissue with the machine.

hope this gives you food for thought
  10. Soupy

Good info, but I'm talking about edging the street, drive and sidewalk.