edging pricing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dunn's, May 20, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on how overgrown over the sidewalk/driveway the grass is. I try and line trim the property a few times before I edge so there is less mess/work and so I dont tear up edger blades,but yes we sweep up most of the mess left behind into a snow shovel then dump it in trash can or yard waste bag that we bring and blow away anything left remaining after that. It takes longer but it sets us apart from the other Lco's by us for the customers that care the others we dont really want them anyway but this aint a perfect world and most yards arent the perfect yards

2. Landscapes-r-us

Landscapes-r-us LawnSite Member

;) Whoa dude! $175 for printing, designing and sending?! How did he send them? Direct mail or what?

Can I please get the companies name, even though I don't live near you, so just I might know what to look up a similiar company up around here to do that for me..

3. Landscapes-r-us

bump for answer!

4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

thats' .0075 cents a copy including delivery.

Your math must be wrong or you got scammed, it costs me .042 cents just for delivery in an ad-bag with a legit company.

One time I got scammed they only delivered my flyer to 5 apartment buildings so I would get some calls the rest of the flyers I gave them must have been thrown out. Thats why I only go with legit ppl or I hire guys myself and over see the delivery.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If they are a new customer and this is the first time and a lot of over growth than yes you have to shovel the stuff up. (but charge for the extra work) after that you do it every week and just blow the trimmings off the walk.

6. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Really nice flyer. But FYI, you spell debris with an s on the end. May wanna fix it for future mailings:waving:

hillndale:headphones:

7. Dunn's

No we didn't get scammed it was in a bi-weekly ad book it is eight pages 8 1/2 by 11 with three two for ads per page so he can charge less because of the amount of companies he has been in business for 12+ years and does all the designing printing himself and he goes two the post office and drops them off himself and pays the fee to have the booklet delivered to areas by zones no adresses on them so the post office does not have to sort them just one per address per zone it's simple really. I imagine he makes a big profit from this as well because it most of the companies in it are huge companies and they pay by the size of the ad ours is 4" inches by5 1/2" tall. some are bigger some are whole page. the reason it is cheap is because he has no workers and been in business for 12+ years so his equipment is paid off thus not very much overhead and 22,000 is not alot of homes where we live not even 1/10th of north county. we thought it would cost more to place an ad in this booklet because of the companies in it where so big but we gave him a call and it wasn't. i have been getting these ads in the mail as far back as i can remember so I knew they went everywhere and our friends live in all parts of the area where it was delivered and we didnt give him all of our friends addresses but they all got one hhhmmmmmm he must be phsycic to know exactly what houses to deliver to. Not all business owners are crooks maybe alot but not all. take us for instance our doorhangers have a higher price on them than we charge but when people call we dont rip them of we just tell them that our price is less than that and then they are hooked because they thought they where going to pay even more than the doorhangers said that price on them is just for the yards that look like jungle or if we dont want to drive that far, and advertising higher prices keeps the cheap A#### away,and the haglers

8. Dunn's

Thanks for looking out hillndall but that was just the first proof it went out on wedsneday with everything spelt correctly.:cool2:

9. Landscapes-r-us

So, when will they be sent out? I'd like to know what kind of response rate you get..

10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh its like a coupon book I've never done those before. for $175 I would jump on it though.