1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Edging properly(cont.)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Jan 22, 2001.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I know I was told to keep the wheel on the concrete when edging. My question is what if the grass is say 2-3 inches lower than the concrete edge? Should you set the depth lower or turn around and go in the opposite direction with the wheel in the grass? What if on the lowest setting it still won't cut because the dfference between the concrete and the ground is too much?(With the wheel on the concrete) I don't mean to be a pain about this .I just want to hear from you guys who have been doing this for a long time. Edging is a new thing for me. Thanks for any help. Also how do you know how deep to set the edger?
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If the grass is lower by 2-3 inches it would seem that it would not need edging but trimming. Just trim the grass against the concrete like you trim against a house or office building.
  3. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Just be sure to grind each sprinkler head in half as you walk down the sidewalk!
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

If the grass is 2-3 inches lower, just use a string trimmer and stay close to the sidewalk.